[daip] AIPS not recognizing amount of free disk space

Sally Laurent-Muehleisen slauren at igpp.ucllnl.org
Thu Aug 16 15:23:11 EDT 2001

Hello,

	We have run into an odd problem with AIPS where it is refusing to run
a task (DBCON) because it claims enough disk space is not available when, as
far as I can tell, there is far more free space than it needs.

	We are running the 31DEC99 AIPS (last updated via the MNJ in Dec
2000).  When we try to run DBCON, we get the following error:

>go dbcon
DBCON1: Task DBCON  (release of 15APR98) begins
DBCON1: RA and DEC match to within 3 microarcseconds each
DBCON1: --I'm not going to shift positions
AIPS 1: Resumes
>DBCON1: ZCREA2: BYTES OVERFLOW ? = -1362245632
DBCON1: INSUFFICIENT SPACE ON DISK  5 FOR FILE DA05:UVD001001.334;
DBCON1: REQUESTED SIZE OF     2863986 BLOCKS FROM ZCREAT
DBCON1: UVCREA: NO ROOM FOR BOOTES      .DBCON .   3
DBCON1: ERROR  1 CREATING OUTPUT FILE
DBCON1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
DBCON1: lintilla 15APR98 TST: Cpu=    0.2  Real=      1  IO=         0

Checking available disk space via "FREE" yields (I'll only report what disk
5 has available):
>free
AIPS 1: Disk Volume name               Total Full     Free  Timd Access
AIPS 1:   #                           blocks    %   blocks  days
AIPS 1:   5  </AIPS/DATA/LINTILLA_5 70583592   86 10126493 300.0 Alluser

Checking the amount of free disk space from the unix prompt (we're running
Solaris 5.6) gives the same number of blocks.

Any idea why AIPS seems to think we're running short on disk space?

				Thanks in advance for your help,
				 Sally Laurent-Muehleisen
				 (slauren at igpp.ucllnl.org)

PS The inputs to DBCON are:

>inp dbcon
AIPS 1: DBCON     Task which concatenates two uv data bases .
AIPS 1: Adverbs         Values            Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INNAME     'BOOTES      '          Input UV file name (name)
AIPS 1: INCLASS    'DBCON '                Input UV file name (class)
AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    Input UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: INDISK        5                    Input UV file disk unit #
AIPS 1: IN2NAME    'BOOTES      '          2nd input file name.
AIPS 1: IN2CLASS   'DBCON '                2nd input file class.
AIPS 1: IN2SEQ        2                    2nd input file seq. #
AIPS 1: IN2DISK       5                    2nd input file disk number
AIPS 1: REWEIGHT      0           0        Weight factors.
AIPS 1: OUTNAME    '            '          Output UV file name (name)
AIPS 1: OUTCLASS   '      '                Output UV file name (class)
AIPS 1: OUTSEQ        0                    Output UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: OUTDISK       5                    Output UV file disk unit #.
AIPS 1: DOPOS         1           1        If (1,1) true (+1) check pos.
AIPS 1:               1           1        will shift second if nec.
AIPS 1:               1           1        If (2,1) true check freq.
AIPS 1:               1           1
AIPS 1: DOARRAY      -1                    If true (+1) output data will
AIPS 1:                                    be the same subarray as input