[daip] Re: aips instalation problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed Aug 15 20:55:14 EDT 2001

Alejandro Lara writes:
 > Hi
 > I'm trying to install AIPS (31DEC01) in a ultra 60 with solaris 7. I just
 > installed gcc anf g77 ver 3.0 and I have the next error when I try
to compile:

       This may be the problem.  AIPS assumes that you are using the
SUN compiler suite.  Therefore the options in the Makefile for XAS are
for the SUN product not gcc.  Try

     cd $YSERV/XAS
     make

and tell me what it says.

 > make: *** [xas.o] Error 1
 > AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program.
 > AipsWiz: Error: This means no AIPS TV will be available.
 >
 > I can't find the problem! Here are the input setings:
 >
 > Architecture (screen 5): SUL

 > FORTRAN Compiler: /opt/local/bin/g77 (default /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77)
 >      and options: -c -fns -fsimple=1 -xarch=v8plusa -xlibmopt -dalign -ansi -u
 >  default options: -c -fns -fsimple=1 -xarch=v8plusa -xlibmopt -dalign -ansi -u

         These are not correct options for the g77 compiler either.
We assume the SUN product since the code runs 1/3 faster or so.

 >           Linker: /opt/local/bin/g77 (default /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77)

Note that you are about to compile with g77 and attempt to link with
SUN's f77.

 >       C Compiler: /opt/local/bin/gcc (default /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc)

And compile the C routines with SUN's compiler

 >      and options: -v -c -I/opt/local/aips/31DEC01/INC -fns -fsimple=1 -xarch=v\
 >                 8plus -dalign -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
 >  default options: -v -c -I/opt/local/aips/31DEC01/INC -fns -fsimple=1 -xarch=v\
 >                 8plus -dalign -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64

What compilers do you actually have?

BTW - we have not tested version 3.0 of the GNU compilers on any
architecture.  Therefore we will not claim that they work correctly
even on Linux where they will be used by us.  We have that version of
the compiler but are alergic to anything with a .0 in its rev number
and so have yet to test it.