[daip] [forwarded from Patrick P. Murphy] Re: 31DEC99 midight job

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue Sep 12 09:07:15 EDT 2000

FYI.
------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: "Patrick P. Murphy" <pmurphy at NRAO.EDU>
To: David Titterington <djt at mrao.cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 31DEC99 midight job
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:50:33 -0400

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:30:22 +0100, David Titterington
   <djt at mrao.cam.ac.uk> said:

> We have recently installed 31DEC99 AIPS and would like to try setting
> up the midnight job for regular updates.   We have run the 'update.pl'
> script and are now applying for further instructions and the Secure
> Shell key.

The key is appended; it should go in the ~/.ssh/ directory of the relevant
account and be called "mnj".  Once this is there, you should test it.  If
you are running a SSH agent that caches identities, remove them all
temporarily:

     ssh-add -D

If there are no identities, the above command will complain but otherwise
not harm anything.  Now, prime the ssh key:

     ssh -q -a -x -i ${HOME}/.ssh/mnj mnj.cv.nrao.edu /AIPS/31DEC99/COPYING

This may ask if you want to add the key for mnj.cv.nrao.edu to the list of
known hosts; the answer should be yes.  If the command works, you will see
our version of the GNU copyleft on stdout.  If not, repeat the command
with a "-v" added to the other qualifiers; this will give excruciating
detail on what's going on and may offer clues to any problem.

Have a look at $SYSLOCAL/UPDCONFIG; you may want to alter the list of
people who get copies of routine reports and those who get error notices.
It's fine to leave aipsmgr at nrao.edu in for now (that way we'll likely be
able to help if/when we see things going wrong), but once you have things
running routinely, you can probably remove that address.

The MAKE.MNJ script (called by update.pl) will have created a
"do_daily.$HOST" shell script in the login area.  You should inspect it
for sanity, then do a trial run.  It's best to try this early in the
morning your time (say around 9am; 4am our time).  If this works, you'll
see a bunch of output about UPDCOPY, COMRPL, COMLNK etc.  Now you can put
this script in a cron job.  Suggested times are after 1am and before 7am
US/Eastern time (6am-12am your time).

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

				- Pat
- --
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory
  Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/      Work: http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/
   "Linux is Inevitable."  "Why?"  "Because it's alive!" - John MadDog Hall

<key snipped>