[daip] GETJY

Jim Ulvestad julvesta at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Sep 11 16:25:36 EDT 2000

If you look at the solutions for 1748-253, not only is the flux high,
but the rms/flux ratio is far too high.  I'm pretty sure this is due
to bad data, which may be due to cross-talk from antennas close to
each other.

In FILLM, CPARM(4) gives you the option of dropping data that are
shadowed, and you could try putting in a value of something like
50 meters to see if that makes things better (by getting rid of
data when antennas might be cross-talking).  However, it's better
to actually look at the data and see what's going on (next
paragraph).

I would be very surprised if you didn't have huge closure
errors when running CALIB/VLACALIB.  This would be caused
because some short baselines would have huge amplitudes,
but the amplitudes on the longer baselines would be much
smaller, so there would be poor closure in the solutions
for individual antennas.  If you have huge closure errors
reported, you can use them as a guide to decide which antennae
to flag.

If the closure errors don't help enough, the next option is
to actually calibrate the data using CLCAL, then plot up the
amplitudes of the calibrated data to see where they're high.
You can then CLIP or UVFLG the high amplitudes, use SETJY
to zero the flux of 1748-253, then go back and run CALIB
again.

What you will generally need to beware of is that even if you
flag the high amplitudes on 1748-253, you may have similar
bad amplitudes on your program source.  So what I would do
after getting the calibration of 1748-253 correct is to
split the data, make a UVPLT on your program source, then
CLIP the high points.

jim ulvestad