[daip] forwarded message from Eric Greisen

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Nov 21 15:19:45 EST 2000

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu>
To: Lawrence Rudnick <larry at astro.umn.edu>
Subject: Re: aipswoe
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:18:30 -0700

Lawrence Rudnick writes:
 > for reasons that i don't remember, we had to
 > do a full install (maybe there aren't linux binaries?, i
 > don't remember)
 >
 > We have not done our duty and reported details, but the new super-duper
 > installation scripts both for SGI and LINUX
 > needed lots of intervention, so we may have messed some things
 > up.  One of the problems was that "15APR99 " was inserted into
 > the automatic script, even though we were trying to install
 > 15DEC99.  I thought we caught everything, but maybe not.
 > Sigh.

       It really helps if you do report things - the 15APR99 thing did
get fixed.  31DEC99 is always a full install - we do not give out
binaries.

 > I tried a COMPRESS and am running imagr again, so we'll see
 > if that fixes anything.
 >
 > here's dates, but probably not very useful?
 > -rwxr--r--   1 aips users 2000164 Sep 27 11:05 IMAGR.EXE
 > -rwxr--r--   1 aips users   6246 Nov 15  1999 PRTCC.HLP

    I wanted the date on IMAGR.HLP not PRTCC.HLP.  But the .exe date
above tells me that the help file (inputs) you sent does NOT match the
load module.  This will cause the whole thing to mess up...

 > How do we turn off the mnj?

The mnj is run by you not us.  You may have a cron job or may be doing
it by hand or ?? and all you need to do is fix the reference to
15APR99 to 31DEC99 to get it to work.  But if you are messed up it
would be best to delete everything and start over.  I attach the
current IMAGR help file (cutting it off after the inputs part) for
reference.

ERic

; IMAGR
;---------------------------------------------------------------
;! Wide-field and/or wide-frequency Cleaning / imaging task.
;# TASK AP IMAGING OOP CALIBRATION INTERACTIVE TV-APPL
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
;;  Copyright (C) 1995-2000
;;  Associated Universities, Inc. Washington DC, USA.
;;
;;  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
;;  modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
;;  published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of
;;  the License, or (at your option) any later version.
;;
;;  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
;;  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
;;  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
;;  GNU General Public License for more details.
;;
;;  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
;;  License along with this program; if not, write to the Free
;;  Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge,
;;  MA 02139, USA.
;;
;;  Correspondence concerning AIPS should be addressed as follows:
;;         Internet email: aipsmail at nrao.edu.
;;         Postal address: AIPS Project Office
;;                         National Radio Astronomy Observatory
;;                         520 Edgemont Road
;;                         Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
IMAGR     LLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUU CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
IMAGR: Wide field imaging/Clean task
INNAME                             Input UV data (name)
INCLASS                            Input UV data (class)
INSEQ                              Input UV data (seq. #)
INDISK                             Input UV data disk drive #
SOURCES                            Source name
QUAL            -10.0              Calibrator qualifier -1=>all
CALCODE                            Calibrator code '    '=>all
TIMERANG                           Time range to use
SELBAND                            Bandwidth to select (kHz)
SELFREQ                            Frequency to select (MHz)
FREQID                             Freq. ID to select.
SUBARRAY          0.0     1000.0   Sub-array, 0=>all
DOCALIB          -1.0        2.0   If >0 calibrate data
                                   = 2 calibrate weights
GAINUSE                            CL (or SN) table to apply
DOPOL            -1.0       10.0   If >0.5 correct polarization.
BLVER                              BL table to apply.
FLAGVER                            Flag table version
DOBAND           -1.0       10.0   If >0.5 apply bandpass cal.
                                   Method used depends on value
                                   of DOBAND (see HELP file).
BPVER                              Bandpass table version
SMOOTH                             Smoothing function. See
                                   HELP SMOOTH for details.
STOKES                             Stokes parameters (see HELP)
BCHAN            0.0     8192.0    Low freq. channel 0 for cont.
ECHAN            0.0     8192.0    Highest freq channel
CHANNEL                            Restart channel number
NPOINTS                            Number of chan. to average.
CHINC                              Channel incr. between maps.
BIF                                First IF in average.
EIF                                Last IF in average.
OUTNAME                            Output image name (name)
OUTDISK                            Output image disk drive #
OUTSEQ          -1.0     9999.0    Output seq. no.
OUTVER                             CC ver. no (Continuum only)
                                   *** SET OUTVER ON RESTARTS
IN2NAME                            UV work file name
IN2CLASS                           UV work file class
IN2SEQ           0.0               UV work file seq
                                   *** SET TO KEEP WORK FILE
IN2DISK                            UV work file disk
CELLSIZE      1.E-12               (X,Y) size of grid in asec
IMSIZE          0.0      8192.     Minimum image size
NFIELD          0.        512.     Number of fields (max. 512)
DO3DIMAG       -1.0         1.     > 0 => use different tangent
                                   points for each field
FLDSIZE         -1.       8192.    Clean size of each field.
RASHIFT                            RA shift per field (asec)
DECSHIFT                           DEC shift per field (asec)
UVTAPER         0.                 (U,V) Gaussian taper
                                     units are kilo-lambda
UVRANGE         0.                 Min & max baseline (klambda)
GUARD         -1.0         0.9     x,y guard band fractional
                                   radius
ROTATE                             Rotate image CCW from N by
                                   ROTATE degrees
ZEROSP                             0-spacing fluxes and weights
                                   SEE HELP!!
UVWTFN                             UV dist. weight function
                                     blank => uniform
UVSIZE          0.                 Array size for doing uniform
                                   weights.  0 -> actual field
                                   size.
ROBUST                             Robustness power: -5 -> pure
                                   uniform weights, 5 => natural
UVBOX           0.        128.     Additional rows and columns
                                   used in weighting.
UVBXFN                             Box function type when UVBOX
                                   > 0.  0 -> 1 round pill box.
XTYPE           0.         10.     Conv. function type in x
                                     default spheroidal
YTYPE           0.         10.     Conv. function type in y
                                     default spheroidal
XPARM                              Conv. function parms for x
YPARM                              Conv. function parms for y
NITER    *         0.0             Maximum # of Clean components
BCOMP                              Begin at BCOMP component
                                   Specify for each field.
ALLOKAY          -1.0       2.0    For restart: > 0 => beams
                                   okay, > 1 => work file too
NBOXES             0.0        50.0 Number of boxes for Clean
                                   NB: field 1 only.
CLBOX             -2.0      8192.0 Four coordinates for each box
BOXFILE                            Input file of field params
                                   and Clean boxes; ' ' => use
                                   FLDSIZE, RASHIFT, DECSHIFT,
                                   NBOXES, CLBOX only.
OBOXFILE *                         Output file for final Clean
                                   boxes
GAIN     *         0.0         2.0 Clean loop gain
FLUX     *                         Minimum Clean component (Jy)
MINPATCH *         0.0             Min. BEAM half-width in AP.
BMAJ     *      -999.9             FWHM(asec) major axis Clean
         *                         restoring beam.
BMIN     *      -999.9             FWHM(asec) minor axis Clean
         *                         restoring beam.
BPA      *      -360.0       360.0 Clean beam position angle
OVERLAP           -1.0             1 => restore components to
                                   overlapped fields, >=2=>
                                   expect overlaps in Cleaning
PHAT               0.0       999.0 Prussian hat height.
FACTOR   *        -5.0         5.0 Speedup factor see HELP
CMETHOD  *                         Modeling method:
         *                         'DFT','GRID','    '
IMAGRPRM                           Task enrichment parameters
                                   (1) Antenna diameter (m)
                                   (2) Source Spectral index
                                   (3) Frequency scaling factor
                                   (4) > 0 -> SDI Clean factor
                                   (5) >0 => scale residuals
                                   (6) Half-width in x of box
                                   (7) Half-width in y of box
                                   (8) Filter components whose
                                   neighborhood is weaker than
                                   IMAGRPRM(8) Jy.  0 -> don't
                                   (9) Radius in pixels for the
                                   IMAGRPRM(8) test.
                                   (10) multiplier of image size
                                   to get beam size: 0 => 2;
                                   2, 1, 0.5 0.25 supported
                                   (11-15) Multi-resolution
                                   added controls
IMAGRPRM ?                         Task enrichment parameters
         ?                         (1) Antenna diameter (m)
         ?                         (4) > 0 -> SDI Clean factor
         ?                         (5) >0 => scale residuals
         ?                         (6) Half-width in x of box
         ?                         (7) Half-width in y of box
         ?                         (8) Filter components whose
         ?                         neighborhood is weaker than
         ?                         IMAGRPRM(8) Jy.  Can TELL
         ?                         only if non-zero on GO.
                                   0 -> no filtering.
         ?                         (9) Radius in pixels for the
         ?                         IMAGRPRM(8) test.
         ?                         (11-15) Multi-resolution
         ?                         added controls
NGAUSS             0.0        10.0 Number of resolutions to use
WGAUSS             0.0             Resolutions in arc sec >= 0
MAXPIXEL *         0.0    500000.0 Maximum pixels searched in
         *                         each major cycle.
DOTV     *        -1.0       512.0 Display residuals on TV ?
                                   Start with field = DOTV
BADDISK           -1.0      1000.0 Disks to avoid for scratch.