[daip] A bug report of the 15OCT99 AIPS

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Fri Mar 10 12:27:22 EST 2000

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 20:38:33 +0900, "Y. Kitamura"
   <kitamura at pub.isas.ac.jp> said:

> Now, I'm trying to install the AIPS on DEC Alpha 667 MHz with Digital
> Unix 4.0F.  The INSTEP1 has been successfully done.  But, in the
> INSTEP2, the following fatal error has occurred!

> Of course, I've got the newest version of QCLEAN.FOR from the NRAO web.
> After the first failure, I tried again by enlarging the process
> stacksize and datasize.  (The memory size of my workstation is 1024 MB.)
> But I could not succeed.

> FC        : plus       f77 -fpe0 -v -static -u -c -tune host -O5 -assume
> noaccuracy_sensitive -align dcommons -mathlib fast -speculate none \
> FC        :            /usr/users/aips/15OCT99/ALPHA/PREP/QCLEAN.f
> /usr/lib/cmplrs/fort/decfort -fpe0 -noautomatic -warn declarations -tune
> host -O5 -assume noaccuracy_sensitive -align dcommons -spec
> ulate none -switch fe_platinum -o QCLEAN.o
> /usr/users/aips/15OCT99/ALPHA/PREP/QCLEAN.f
> fort: Fatal: A memory access violation (bus error or segmentation fault)
> has occurred.  Please submit a problem report.

This last error is the Fortran compiler itself crashing.  I believe this
is something I've seen in OS versions newer than 4.0D (what we have here).
The workaround is to compile QCLEAN with much reduced optimization.  Edit
the file $SYSUNIX/OPTIMIZE.LIS so that the following line is found in it:

   QCLEAN             ALPHA            0           0

I'd put it with the other Alpha stuff, near the FITTP line.  This will
force the system to compile QCLEAN with no optimization.  You can then
check if it works as follows:

    . /usr/users/aips/LOGIN.SH           (bash, ksh, bourne, ash, zsh)
or  source /usr/users/aips/LOGIN.CSH     (csh, tcsh)

then:

    $CDTST                               (should show "AIPS_VERSION=...")
    COMRPL $QOOP/QCLEAN.FOR

If it does not die "of unnatural causes" or otherwise, then you can resume
INSTEP2.
				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory