[daip] query

Michael Way mway at astro.princeton.edu
Thu Jun 29 17:12:07 EDT 2000

I'm not sure where to send queries to, but I thought i would try this
address first.

currently this is my situation, i cannot seem to access my data areas:

tama%  source /var/local/AIPS/LOGIN.CSH
You have a choice of 4 printers.  These are:
    No. [ type  ] Description
     1. [     PS] Fred
     2. [     PS] ps
     3. [    QMS] qms
     4. [PREVIEW] gs
START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]:
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the Fred
START_AIPS:  - system name hp_peyton_30, AIPS type PS
START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using private file /u/gk/.dadevs)
             /var/local/DATA/TAMA_1 is currently unavailable.
             /var/local/DATA/TAMA_2 is currently unavailable.
             /var/local/DATA/TAMA_3 is currently unavailable.
             /var/local/DATA/TAMA_4 is currently unavailable.
START_AIPS: Cannot start AIPS because there are no defined data areas!
START_AIPS: (check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*)

----------------------------

i've tried with and without the .dadevs file in my home dir, and
neither method works.

aips never goes beyond that above. now i've looked in the on-line
docs, but i find nothing about this and cannot figure out what file i'm
supposed to edit to allow myself access to these "data areas" which
are mysteriously "currently unavailable". i've looked in
/scr0/AIPS/15APR99/SYSTEM/UNIX/NETSP
which has some lines:

/var/local/DATA/TAMA_1     14.0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
/var/local/DATA/TAMA_2     14.0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
/var/local/DATA/TAMA_3     14.0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
/var/local/DATA/TAMA_4     14.0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
/var/local/DATA/TAMA_5     14.0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0

which were set up long ago when i ran the instep stuff.
however i have NO idea what all of these numbers mean (if anything) and
cannot find the docs telling me. of course this may have nothing
to do with my problem.

i hope someone can help. the documentation isn't really helping much
at all.