[daip] query

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Thu Jun 29 18:53:02 EDT 2000

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:12:07 -0400 (EDT), Michael Way
   <mway at astro.princeton.edu> said:

> I'm not sure where to send queries to, but I thought i would try this
> address first.

You got the right place.

> currently this is my situation, i cannot seem to access my data areas:

> tama%  source /var/local/AIPS/LOGIN.CSH
> You have a choice of 4 printers.  These are:

The LOGIN.CSH should not be starting AIPS directly; its purpose is to set
up environment variables and the PATH so that just typing "aips" will
work.  (Or "aips tv=local pr=3 tpok da=foobar" for example).

As this file should be called from one's dot login files (.login or
.profile depending on shell) and it might be called at times when you do
not want to fire up an AIPS session, it may be adviseable to fix this; I'm
assuming it's a local customization.

Anyway, on to your question:

> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
>   (Using private file /u/gk/.dadevs)
>              /var/local/DATA/TAMA_1 is currently unavailable.
>              /var/local/DATA/TAMA_2 is currently unavailable.
>              /var/local/DATA/TAMA_3 is currently unavailable.
>              /var/local/DATA/TAMA_4 is currently unavailable.

The two requirements for availability are:

    1) the directory must exist and be writable by you; and
    2) there must be a zero-length file therein called SPACE

I suspect condition 2 is not being met here.

> i hope someone can help. the documentation isn't really helping much
> at all.

As this is a setup (install) problem and not an application/operational
one, you should be looking at the AIPS Installation Guide (INSTALL.PS).
It has detailed information about these matters.  INSTEP1 does offer to
create these directories at install time and will create the empty SPACE
files as it does.
				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory