[daip] CALIB

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Jul 31 17:26:55 EDT 2000

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From lincoln at play.harvard.edu Mon Jul 31 12:00 MDT 2000
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:59:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Lincoln Greenhill <lincoln at play.harvard.edu>
To: lkogan at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
cc: jmonnier at cfa.harvard.edu, julvesta at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Subject: CALIB

Dear Leonia,

I have been eavesdropping on John's email exchange with you and Jim U.
Thank you for your assistance and explanations.  John will complete his
work by specifying the inner antennas and a UVRANG for 3C286.

However, I am surprised that CALIB is unable to manage the necessary
calculations for a sparse matrix.  It is a straightforward problem that is
well serviced by linear algebraic techniques.

In the interest of making AIPS as straightforward to newer users as
possible (e.g. through reduction in the number of nonobvious workarounds
and reduction in the number of idiocyncracies), I think that some reform
of CALIB would be useful.  I feel that in general, the peculiarities of
AIPS are not beneficial to the growth of a community for NRAO instruments.

Regards,

Lincoln

Lincoln J. Greenhill      Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
Radio & Geoastronomy Division, 60 Garden St, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Telephone:  1 617-495-7194             FAX:  1 617-495-7345
Internet:  greenhill at cfa.harvard.edu   http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~lincoln

----- End Included Message -----