[daip] TECOR--does it do anything?

Chris Flatters cflatter at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Jul 31 12:54:29 EDT 2000

> Chris Fassnacht and I have both tried calibrating
> recent L-band VLBA data using TECOR.  In both cases,
> the output CL table appears identical to the input
> table in delay and phase.  The ionosphere is wacky
> enough these days that it isn't clear that the
> correction will really help the data, but it seems
> like it should do something!  Could it be that
> the conversion from electron content to delay
> has some error of a factor of 10**x?
>
> My data are being worked on by my summer student
> Therese Ostrowksi.  They're on her machine, CRUCES,
> as data set BU015B.UVDATA.  CL table 4 is before TECOR,
> and CL table 5 is after TECOR.  SNPLT shows that these
> tables are identical (as best we can tell).

CL table 5 contains ionospheric Faraday rotation entries of
order 5 radians per meter squared which is a plausible value
(typical values are between 1 (night) and 10 (day) radians
per meter squared).

TECOR appears to have been run with dispersive delays turned
off (the default). Set APARM(1) to 1 to enable calculation
of dispersive delays: you should see values of order one
microsecond in the DISP 1 column of the table.

	Chris Flatters
	cflatter at nrao.edu