[daip] Re: problems with TV device

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Aug 24 18:13:32 EDT 2000

Michel Fich writes:
 > champion-4>>aips

 > Only one printer configured, cannot choose printer 0
 > Your initial AIPS printer is the in Phys 232  (astrolaser), type PS
 >
 > User data area assignments:
 >   (Using global default file /u/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
 >    Disk 1 (1) is /d1/aips/DATA/CHAMPION_1
 >
 > Tape assignments:
 >    Tape 1 is 4 mm DAT DDS-3 drive on CHAMPION
 >    Tape 2 is 8mm Exabyte 8705DX drive on CHAMPION
 >    Tape 3 is REMOTE
 >    Tape 4 is REMOTE
 >
 > You seem to be at a workstation called tiffany.uwaterloo.ca

   Tiffany is not a workstation - just a display.  XAS therefore has
to run on champion.  You may request this with TV=[tvdisp][:][tvhost]
(i.e. TV=tiffany:champion) on the aips command line.  A better
solution would be to say TV=local which will run a local unix-socket
XAS on champion with the display going to the $DISPLAY machine which I
believe is tiffany in this case.  This allows the inet socket version
of XAS to run as well and there can be only one of those.  See man
aips or help aips or chapter 2 of the CookBook for this and more
information.  The tv=local stuff only works on recent versions not one
as old as 15APR98.

 > Remote TV assigned for TVHOST tiffany.uwaterloo.ca  ***
 > Checking if tiffany.uwaterloo.ca is reachable via rsh...
 > Cannot start remote TV servers on tiffany.uwaterloo.ca, sorry!
 > remote command gave this error:
 > RSHD: no such command: echo

X terminals do not run unix shells so this fails...

 > (If this says 'permission denied', check
 >  your file /u/fich/.rhosts)
 > Starting TPMON daemons on CHAMPION asynchronously...
 > Starting up 15APR98 AIPS with normal priority
 > Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 15APR98) at priority =   0
 > AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   3
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   3
 > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number

 > 2) Our old installation is 15OCT96 on an old SparcClassic (called
 > astro.uwaterloo.ca) running Solaris 2.5.  This is so old and slow that
 > I had planned to remove it to recover some disk space, but never got
 > around to it.
 >
 > HOSTS.LIST file:
 > +  ASTRO      SOL     WATASTRO NONE        SparcClassic in PHYS 232
 > +  CHAMPION   SOL     WATASTRO NONE        SparcUltra60 in PHYS 232
 > =  TIFFANY    NCD     WATASTRO ASTRO       NCD17cr in PHYS 255
 >
 > (I presume that the SOL for champion should be a SUL??)

   It rarely matters very much - SOLs cannot run SUL code but SULs can
run SOL code and usually do it nearly as fast.