[daip] aips help

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Sat Aug 12 22:16:34 EDT 2000

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:47:56 -0400 (EDT), Karyn Rose Singer <krs at duke.edu>
   said:

> Greetings from Nantucket!
> We are students attempting to use aips to reduce data taken at the VLBA,
> and we're having some problems getting the program to read our tape:

>> INTAPE 1

As Leonia suggested, look back at your startup messages to see what tape
drive you are getting.  Then look in $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/TPDEVS.LIST to see
what the device name is.

>> DENSITY 6250
>> MOUNT
> AIPS 1: ZMOUN2: Couldn't open tape device /dev/rmt8

OK, that answers that question.  What OS are you running on; Solaris,
Linux, Tru64, or something else?  The device name may not be correct.  You
need to select the NOREWIND device which on Linux is usually, e.g.,
/dev/nst0 and on Solaris is /dev/rmt/0ln.

> AIPS 1: zerror; IN ZMOUN2 ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)

Once you have the correct device name, talk to your systems administrator
to make sure you have read/write access to the device.

				- Pat