[daip] Re: Fwd: Antenna Positions and AIPS

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Aug 11 18:32:33 EDT 2000

Chris,

You wrote:

>We have just realised that for the fits files we distribute to users we
>use a RH (righthanded) coordinate system for antenna positions. The VLBA
>uses a LH coordinate system. For reference the ATCA and VLA seem to also
>use RH system.

I guess it is me who helped you to realise this.

I found this error looking in the ANTAB error with the JIVE correlator data.

It was not the only error. Actually I found more:

1. the ferquency of observation is 250 KHz!!
2. The SU table does not have entry for RAAPP, DECAPP.
3. GST is wrong at the AN table.

The last (third) error in the list causes the main error in calculating of
az/el and ....  For Effelsberg for example, (its longtitude is small) the
change of LH to RH can not move the source to the big negative elevation.
It was the case with the data I looked in because of the big mistake in GST.

Regards

Leonia