[bananas] AIPS 15OCT98 now available

Pat Murphy ppm at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 9 16:55:25 EST 1998

The 15OCT98 release of AIPS, the Astronomical Image Processing System, is
now available.  AIPS is a package aimed at the Radio Astronomer and is
most useful for reduction and analysis of data from Synthesis Telescopes
like the VLA and VLBA.

AIPS is covered by the Free Software Foundation's General Public License.
You may obtain AIPS via ANONYMOUS ftp:

	aips.nrao.edu:/aips/15OCT98.tar.gz  (GNU zipped, 25.1 Megabytes)
or	aips.nrao.edu:/aips/15OCT98.tar.Z   (Compressed, 36.1 Megabytes)

Be sure to get and read the notices in files /aips/README, in
/aips/README.15OCT98 (the important one), in /aips/15OCT98/README, and
finally the /aips/INSTALL.PS Installation Summary, before starting any
installation.

Please note that there may shortly be patches posted on this mailing list
(bananas) or newsgroup (alt.sci.astro.aips) and on our web site:

	http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips/patch.html
and	http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips/15OCT98/patches.html

or via anonymous ftp:

	aips.nrao.edu:/aips/15OCT98/README.15OCT98

A CDrom version of this release (with live binaries for Intel/Linux and
Solaris) should be available in the very near future.  A second
announcement will be made when this option can be exercised.  In the
meantime, you can place an order for a CD (or tape; we prefer CD though):

        http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips/forms/aipsorder.html

and we will ship the CD once it has been burned.

Additional details about this release can be found in the 15OCT98
AIPSLetter:

        http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips/TEXT/PUBL/LET98B.PS (154,863 bytes)
or      http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips/TEXT/PUBL/LET98B.PS.gz (56,033 bytes)

For any other information, see the main AIPS web page:

	http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips/

          |  If you cannot avail of anonymous ftp, there is an  |
          |  order form on the back of the AIPSLetter.          |
          |  For any further questions, send e-mail to aipsmail |
          |  @nrao.edu.                                         |

  \|/  ____  \|/   Pat Murphy; email http://orangutan.cv.nrao.edu/kippure.html
   @~ / oO \ ~@                  Division Head, NRAO/Charlottesville Computing
   /_( \__/ )_\       Plan, PGP, Pages: http://orangutan.cv.nrao.edu/plan.html
      \_U__/                               "The truth points to itself" - Kosh