[asac] Update on arrangements, etc.

Richard Hills rhills at alma.cl
Fri Jan 16 13:19:43 EST 2009

Dear all,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.  This has been a busy week.

Several things:

1) if you would like to get a flavour of what is going on here in Chile
at the nitty-gritty level, the place to look is:
http://wikis.alma.cl/bin/view/AIV/AIVCoordinationMeetingMinutes

If you then go down to the Minutes section you will find links to the
weekly meetings, where Joe does an incredible job of keeping track of
what is going on and looking ahead to what deliveries are expected when.
  The latest one is for today - 16Jan09.

2) below is the latest version of the ASAC agenda, which is of course
still evolving.  I realised that there were a number of topics that
needed to be added that we had not talked about recently - e.g. we need
some discussion on the Scientific Specifications.  Please let Andrew
Blain know if you think that there are other things that are missing.

3) attached is the current state of the logistics table.  This is
believed to contain all the information that we have had but it is
likely that we have missed a message or two in all the various comings
and going here.  It is also likely that I have got some of the details
crossed over in editing the spreadsheet.  Please send corrections /
updates to Claudia.  Note that the fact that, for example, there are
some question marks in the hotel bookings just means that we have not
had confirmation from you of your plans - we are holding reservations
for you.

One more logistics question - if you are one of the people arriving at
the airport on the morning of the 27th and going on to San Pedro that
afternoon and would like us to reserve a room for you at the airport
hotel so you can freshen up, do please let Claudia know.  (As far as I
know there are no free showers and the like at Santiago airport.  I fear
that we cannot provide this - you or your executive will have to cover
the cost of it yourselves.)

Best Richard

Planning for the ASAC f2f meeting at the ALMA Operations
Support Facility on Jan 28th and 29th.

Times very approximate at present.

Presenters in (Brackets).

Tuesday 27th afternoon fly from Santiago to Calama and then bus to San
Pedro.  Most people will be on the 16:05 flight from SCL.  Should get to
San Pedro around 7:30pm.

Evening – informal discussion, look around San Pedro, find your own dinner.

Wednesday 28th
08:00  Bus from hotel.

08:45  Start tour of OSF.

10:15  Coffee and Closed session - if needed   (Blain)

10:30  Welcome & Introduction  (De Graauw)

10:40  Construction Status and schedule  (Kurz)

11:10  Discussion of Milestones  (Hills)

11:30  Software Review  (Glendenning)

12:20  Software Testing and Acceptance (Peck)

12:40  Observing Tool update (Testi)

13:00  Lunch.  During this lunch period we will also do the health
checks for the people who are intending to go up to the high site.

14:00  Software CASA  (Brogan)

14:50  ARC’s  (Nyman)

~15:40 End of session.  Get warm clothes, water, oxygen, etc.

16:00 Bus leaves for high site.  Need to decide if there are people who
don’t go up whether they stay at the OSF and do e-mail, go back to San
Pedro in separte transport or do some touristy thing.

18:30 Bus get back to OSF  (Is 2.5 hours about right?)

19:15 Arrive in San Pedro.  Clean up.

20:00 ASAC Dinner in San Pedro.

Thursday 29th

08:00 Check-out,  Bus from hotel to OSF.

09:00  Closed session - if needed   (Blain)

09:15  Regional Reports (Chairs of Regional SACS and/or regional Proj
Sci’s) - should include some discussion of the time allocation process.

10:00  Development  (Blain)

11:30  Discussion of ALMA specifications and plans for updating them (Hills)

11:40  Visitor program  (Peck)

11:50  Added Scientific Tools  (Wootten)

12:00  Closed session / start writing

13:00  Lunch – go over to the canteen for this one?

14:00  Continue closed session?

15:00  Feedback.  Plans for report to the Board.

~ 15:30 Leave OSF on bus to Calama.

Flight back LA355 18:40-20:40

Friday 30th

Morning (at least from say 10:30?)  Open house at Alsacia (our office in
Santiago) for Sci staff to meet ASAC members.  Sandwich lunch at ~12:30.

Richard Hills                Phone: +56 2 467 6175
ALMA Project Scientist       Fax:   +56 2 467 6104
Av El Golf 40, Piso 18       Apmnt: +56 2 474 1642
Santiago, Chile              Mobile +56 97 608 1582