[asac] IMPORTANT; PLEASE RESPOND

Ewine van Dishoeck ewine at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Jun 14 16:34:05 EDT 2001

Dear ASAC-members,

First of all, I would like to extend our congratulations on behalf of the
entire ASAC to the project for the successful outcome of the E-ACC meeting!

===> Please read this message carefully: it contains information/questions on
new working groups and on the logistics of the ASAC meeting in Chile. PLEASE
RESPOND TO THE RELEVANT PEOPLE BY TUESDAY JUNE 19 <====

For those ASAC members who were not on the phone today: the good news is that
the three executives, including the NSF, agreed to submit budget requests
according to the "-10% option", rather than the "-20% option". If this level
of funding indeed comes through, it would be possible to implement all of our
high priority enhancements, i.e., the ACA, 4 additional receiver bands (1, 4 ,
8 and 10), and the enhanced/future correlator. However, the ball is now back
in the ASAC court: we have to convince the E-ACC of the feasibility and
scientific importance of the enhancements, especially of the ACA. We need to
do this by the date of the next E-ACC meeting, October 30-31 in Washington,
which means in practice that we need to formulate our recommendation at the
face-to-face meeting in Chile in September. In addition to our ASAC report, we
should produce a document with the scientific arguments for the enhancements.
For Bands 1, 4 and 8 and the enhanced/future correlator, we have already done
most of our homework, but we still need to add the ACA and Band 10 cases.
In addition, we need to adress some operational issues. As a result, we
have formed several working groups.

1. ACA issues
=============

The ACA case is particularly critical: it is the largest budget item,
of order $80M including receivers. Obviously, the executives are reluctant to
commit so much money unless they are convinced of its scientific importance
and feasibility. Recall that the previous simulations by various
groups have shown significant improvements in image fidelity, but that those
simulations did not yet include realistic atmospheric conditions, i.e.,
phase and amplitude errors. As Stephane argued last month, about 6 months
of work is needed to do the proper simulations. This will now have to be
shortened to about 2 months to get ready before the ASAC meeting.
Accordingly, we have formed a "tiger team" to deal with the ACA simulations,
consisting of:

  ACA tiger team (Stephane and Al to coordinate):
  ==============

  - Stephane, Frederic Gueth, Jerome Pety
  - Al, Mark Holdaway, Brian Butler
  - Morita-san
  - Patricia Monger
  - ASAC volunteers: Jack, Dick Crutcher, Pierre, Min Yun??TBC, Japanese TBD
                     ANY OTHER VOLUNTEERS??

The ACA tiger team will meet at/following the Cambridge calibration PDR where
it will formulate a detailed plan. It will post weekly updates on the WWW
and report at our monthly telecons. The role of the ASAC members of the tiger
team is to keep a critical eye on the methods, progress and results, so that we
are not faced with surprises at the face-to-face meeting.

In addition, the ASAC is requested to provide science examples for the ACA.
Besides using the generic testcases from the model library, we need to
convince the E-ACC on scientific grounds. PLEASE SEND SUGGESTIONS TO ME BY
JUNE 29.

2. Band 10 science case
=======================

We need to argue the Band 10 science case along the lines of the Band 1, 4 and
8 cases.

ASAC volunteers: Yamamoto??? Japanese TBD, Ewine,
                 NEED A NORTH AMERICAN VOLUNTEER

3. Operations
=============

The E-AEC has requested ASAC input on the operations from the pure scientific
point of view: how would the astronomers like to use ALMA, both experts
and non-experts? What should be the tasks of the regional data centers
and that in Chile? There is some useful material on this subject, including
the recent ESO operations document, which will be sent to you by hardcopy
in the near future.

  Operations working group:
  -------------------------

 - Neal (coordinator), Christine, Peter Shaver, John Richer, Roy, Leo
   Bronfman, Nick??? TBC, Japanese TBD
   ANY OTHER VOLUNTEERS??

The output of the working group should be a short document to be used as
starting point for our discussion in Chile. Neal will draft a statement of work.

4. Enhanced/future correlator
=============================

There will be a 1-week working group meeting between Japan/EU/NA representatives
to discuss the future/enhanced correlator late July/early August. The ASAC
should re-iterate its guidelines beforehand. Rafael will summarize our
recommendations to date and circulate them before our July telecon.

5. Chile meeting
================

a. Science day
--------------

An ASAC scientific organizing committee for the science day on September 13
has been formed consisting of:

 - Leo (coordinator), Pierre, Al, Tetsuo, Ewine

Plans will be circulated by early July.

b. Logistics
-----------

PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW AND RETURN TO LEO

Leo will provide representative timetables for travel from Santiago to
San Pedro and return. Partcipants should check flights to Chile as soon
as possible, since they fill up rapidly. Most flights from the US arrive
in the morning, allowing plenty of time to travel to San Pedro the same
day. They usually leave in the evening from Santiago. The science
program will end around tea time on September 13, so that people can
fly back the same evening.

We will investigate whether to make a block booking on the flight from
Calama-Santiago September 10, or whether it is cheaper/easier to combine
with your international ticket. Leo will send the relevant flight number
and time.

6. SUMMARY
==========

JUNE 19: DEADLINE FOR ASAC VOLUNTEERS FOR ACA, BAND 10 and OPERATIONS WORKING
         GROUPS
         SEND NAMES TO EWINE

JUNE 29: DEADLINE FOR ACA SCIENCE EXAMPLE SUGGESTIONS
         SEND MATERIAL TO EWINE, WITH COPIES TO STEPHANE AND AL

A.S.A.P.: SEND LODGING REQUESTS FOR CHILE TO LEO BRONFMAN

Obviously, we have a busy few months ahead, but also a wonderful opportunity
to define the ALMA that we scientists would like to have!

Many thanks in advance for your efforts,

Ewine

    Chile lodging information
    =========================

  ***** PLEASE RETURN TO leo at das.uchile.edu  A.S.A.P. *****

Name:

E-mail:

- I will go to San Pedro/Chajnantor: Yes/No

    If Yes: I need lodging for the nights of Sept. 8: Yes/No
                                             Sept. 9: Yes/No

    Accompanying persons: Yes/No

- I will attend the ASAC meeting in Santiago: Yes/No

    If Yes: I need lodging for the nights of Sept. 10: Yes/No
                                             Sept. 11: Yes/No
                                             Sept. 12: Yes/No
                                             Sept. 13: Yes/No
   Accompanying persons: Yes/No