[asac] The ALMA site

Al Wootten awootten at NRAO.EDU
Wed Sep 20 15:53:59 EDT 2000

Dear ASAC Members and others:

Richard Hills sent the following note to the ASAC list but it bounced
to me as a submission from a non-member, so I forward it to you.  It
concerns some of the issues which Leo Bronfman relayed to us from Tony
Readhead concerning his impressions of Chajnantor after a year of
observing there.  As we discussed this at the ASAC meeting, I have
prepended comments, mostly from our discussion at the meeting.

The site is unimproved and access can be difficult.  Anyone visiting
the site should be familiar with the ALMA Safety Rules and follow
them.  Improvements to the site will commence soon after construction
funding is secured.

Site Data Collection

The CBI group report 46% usable time during the Altiplanic Winter and
60% during other seasons.  Time was lost owing to cloud, snow and high
winds.  Richard states that 'there is no doubt that weather conditions
on the site have been considerably worse for the last year or two than
during the period when the original site testing was done.'  Our
monitoring suggests, as I reported at the ASAC meeting, that this year
is average among the years we have monitored the weather at the site.
What is different is that this year we have accounts from astronomers
attempting to observe at a hostile and unimproved site.  The CBI
logbooks convey valuable data which is not available from the suite of
instruments we have monitoring weather, opacity and turbulence at the
site.  We anticipate assessing this data, and that from the Japanese
experience at the ASTE site, as we move toward ALMA construction.  I
must take issue with a point that Richard cites as an explanation for
the site failing to come up to expectations:  that the site test
equipment is solar powered and therefore shuts down if there are
extended periods of cloudiness.  There are three suites of solar
powered equipment running the ALMA/US, the ALMA/EU and the LMSA
instrumentation.  The ALMA/US equipment is adequately powered to
continue through periods of stormy weather and has failed only a very
few times during the past years; this solar power operates the 225 GHz
taumeter and the ALMA/US interferometer.  We obtain and include in the
reductions all data taken during stormy weather.  The ALMA/EU power
supply has been unreliable, perhaps because of inadequate capacity.;
data has been
lost from the equipment operated by that supply including the 183 GHz
radiometers.  Of course, there are periods of time when various pieces
of equipment fail for various reasons and owing to the remoteness of
the site it can take some time to effect repairs; I presented Radford's
assessment of the amount of time each of the fundamental instruments
was working to the ASAC and noted that the taumeter at either the
ALMA/US site or the LMSA site or more often both ran at all times over
the past season.

Transparency

We do collect cloud cover information from the onsite camera as well
as solar insolation monitors which refer only to the daytime. Infrared
cameras would measure cloud cover at night; however they are costly
(>$20K per unit) and require liquid nitrogen and personal attention,
an impracticality at the moment.  Cheaper options are available.
However, we do measure 225 GHz transparency
and operate the interferometer to measure atmospheric stability
through all times of day and night
We have decided that these are the most important quantities to
measure, because these are the quantities that affect the performance
of ALMA.

Access

As Richard points out, access to the Chajnantor site can be a
problem.  This will be a lesser problem for ALMA, as a great deal of
improvement of access is part of the construction plan, as Richard
relates from his conversation with Daniel Hofstadt.  Until that
improvement occurs, however, operations on the Chajnantor site may be
difficult, as they are presently for the CBI group.

Chajnantor and Pampa la Bola

Richard anecdotally compares Chajnantor with Pampa la Bola.  Data from
 ALMA Memo 322 which I reported to the ASAC gives useful numbers for a
quantitative  comparison.  The solar insolation data suggest that there is very
little difference in daytime cloud cover between the two sites.  If the CBI
and ASTE operations overlap, visual data will be an important
complement to the insolation data.  The memo details seasonal and
diurnal variations in wind at the two sites.  The median wind velocity
is in fact somewhat higher at Pampa la Bola.  Pampa la Bola is
now easier to access, but ALMA site development will address this
problem; some control over access may be desirable and this is easier
to accomplish for the Chajnantor site.  Transparency is better
at Chajnantor by the amount expected from the scale height of water.
This suggests that cloudiness variations from one site to another
don't severly affect transparency.  Furthermore, the reduced data
from the interferometers
suggest that phase stability is somewhat lower at the Pampa la Bola
site.  Simon Radford has been working on a comparison of transparency at
the two sites to complement Sakamoto's work, which I showed
at the ASAC meeting.  Bryan Butler is working on a similar correlation
between data from the two interferometers over the past year.  We will
review these comparisons at the next ASAC meeting, if the committee wishes.
In the meantime, I hope that people interested in this question will
 review recently posted ALMA Memo 322.

In summary, the project feels that the case remains strongest for
siting the array at Chajnantor but continues monitoring activities and
study of the data.

Clear skies,
Al