[alma-config] Minutes of last teleconference

John Conway jconway at ebur.oso.chalmers.se
Mon Dec 11 14:12:27 EST 2000

1)  Telecon

I  doubt that I can attend the telecon on either day  2oth or 21st,
I'll be travelling back from SEST where I am now  (pity I couldn't have
joined in with the site visit this time, but was impossible to fit in h
given constraints), I can hopefully visit in April when Im here for VLBI

Last years  meeting day or two before xmas was poorly attended by the
European side; if its
hard for several people this year we could instead  have it right after
new  year instaead, its only a few working days later.

> The next teleconference was tentatively set for 1700UT on 20 December
but
> some members had difficulty with that day (including me--I have an all day
> meeting on the left coast).  21 December at 1700UT is an alternate--is
> that suitable (though I'll probably still be in transit)?

2)  Next simulation step

I think after producing the metrrics the next step should be for Steven
to do some simulations of  B+D snapshot and A+C snapshot. Atypical
astronomer
would I think be rather dissatified with teh results of the B and A only
simulatios of the complex sources annd  would request more short spacings.
from a more compact array in order to achieve the scientific goals.

Also from the point of view of comparing spiral and donut arrays such
combined arrays tests  would be very useful. For the present tsingle
array tests for  C-array there  is no short spacing problem but  for this
the number of filled beam areas is relatively small, and therefore the
source
complexity is  low and don't provide a challengingproblem to put the two
arrays through there paces. In B and A arrays the images are more complex
but the errors are dominated by lack of short spacings so again its hard
to compare image quality between the two styles of arrays.

TRying tests with window/CLEAN boxes or with first subtracting a model
are interesting but I think of much lower priority than combined array
tests. Of intermediate prioity would be to do  some MEM tests to see
if any any problems are purely CLEAN based.