[alma-config] Antenna locations

John Conway jconway at ebur.oso.chalmers.se
Wed Dec 6 10:52:14 EST 2000

Hi,

For the zoom array the pad positions can be found at

http://www.oso.chalmers.se/~jconway/ALMA/SIMULATIONS/SIM4/

A list of pad positions in SAM56 coordinates us given in
http://www.oso.chalmers.se/~jconway/ALMA/SIMULATIONS/SIM4/PADS
these are based on the FITS terrain map, and should be OK to within
10m or so. The pads are numbered and plots of the pad
distributions can be found by clicking on the appropriate
array size A- E and plotting the middle image which
shows the pads for that array superimposed on the
terrain mask.

Note that both the zoom spiral and the double ring array
have quite  similar constraints in terms of terrain and
share essentially the sames outer 3km diameter ring
and have the same compact array.

1) As Min said in his message, a main objective would be to
look at the site both strawpersons hav nominally chosen for
the most compact  part of the array. The site is quite near the edge
of a quebrada, and both designs have two pads on the 'island'
within this quambra (my pad numbers 140 and 141). I guess
for the compact array we need to check;

i) The general roughness of this site, how much bulldozing
is required.

ii) whether having the site so close to an
quebrada  edge  is feasible given the amount of heavy construction
machinery there will be.

iii) whether the soil/terrain characteristics are OK
to allow pads on the 'island' in the quebrada  and whether
there is access via a transporter.

Note that in my mind one objective of the competition of the
two strawperson designs was to compare the imaging properties
of the two design philosphies on quiet literally
the same 'playing field', thats one reason (the other was
laziness/desire not to reinvent the wheel)
why I adopted essentially the same centre for the array as
for the Min and Leonia - tha fact that the two designs
agree on this place does not therefore indicate its a
magic place. I understand though that
it may be close optimum if one wants to fit an outer
circle, then a circle based on this center
comes out of the the fitting with Leonias program as best. If
the shape of the outer ring is relaxed somewhat  (see point
3 below) then a wider range of centres can be used.

2) From some simulations I have done I think the uv coverage
(at least for the zoom array, and probably for the rings)
is not too badly effected as long as the compact centre
is not moved by more than 20%-25% of the radius of the
outer ring. Given this even keeping the same outer
ring as in the two strawpersons we should consider
other sites for the  compact array.

If we keep the same circular ring as in the present strawpersons
then  moving NW from the present E-array location there appears
to be a relatively flat area around

628050, 7453700

and moving East, another at around

627960, 7453200

Perhaps these could be checked. The first alternative
position would seem to be prefered  since the terrain seems to
allow us to move the NW  part of the ring futher out toward the
NW to compensate somewhat for moving the centre.

Basically though any region within the triangle
formed by the present E array position and the
two alternative positions above might I think be
accomodated by modifications of the present strawperson
design(s)  Unfortuanetely if one of the original 3 identified
sites which are near the edges of the Chan site  is selected
then that requires a substantial change in design.

One could also ask the question another way, from the
terrain point of view which  place within this
triangle would those visiting the site consider
most practical?? If there was a strong preference
for a particular place we could probably design
around it.

3) If we have a different outer perimeterm such a Reuleaux
triangle shape the then the whole array could be moved
somewhat to the N and W. An earlier zoom  design based on this
perimeter was presented in

http://www.oso.chalmers.se/~jconway/ALMA/SIMULATIONS/SIM2/

and had the compact array centred on

628590, 7454000

Overall my impression was the terrain covered was somewhat less
rugged than in the stawperson arrays  and the compact centre was closer
to the gas pipeline. Again this place could be checked.

4) Finally there is the question of the practically of
some of the pads in the 3km diameter ring common to both
strawperson designs, Some of the pad positions selected to the
South and SE  of  the ring are on isolated 'valid' pixels,
how practical are  these place really?  are they only valid because
they   are local maxima in elevation. I'm thinking in particular
the pads labeled 170 - 177 in my design (which are also in the
double ring design at essentially the same places). Driving
to these places and looking at practicallity and access
might be worthwhile. Again if this area is unsuitable
then this might suggest moving the outer ring somehat
to the NW.