[evlatests] Update on Strange R-L phase behavior

pjaganna pjaganna at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 31 06:46:54 EDT 2022

Hello,

As promised here are the file locations for the voltage beams.

ea01 - /lustre/pjaganna/evla/holography/beams_spw17/Ant0.im
ea06 - /lustre/pjaganna/evla/holography/beams_spw17/Ant5.im
ea22 - /lustre/pjaganna/evla/holography/beams_spw17/Ant20.im

These images contain the jones cube for that particular IF.
Which in this case is at the central frequency 3948MHz
starting frequency.

I went ahead and picked the central channel and plotted the
phase across the main-lobe of the voltage pattern in R.
The phase across the main-lobe varies within about 10degrees
for the two antennas which are known to have better
pointing performance namely ea01, ea22. For antenna ea06
it has significant pointing offsets that are not removed
to derive this voltage plot and consequently has phase
changes nearly twice the magnitude of the other two antennas
Unfortunately the other antenna in ricks plot is a reference
antenna for the holography observation and does not have
a beam as a result.

These data are
S-Band holography data in Ricks EVLA memo 195. That I have
analyzed in CASA. I am trying to extract the RL Phase from
3C147 which is the phase calibrator for the holography run
and consequently has been visited across a wide range of
elevations. More on that when I get through the data tomorrow.

Cheers,

---
Preshanth Jagannathan

Associate Scientist,