[evlatests] Update on Strange R-L phase behavior

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 30 16:30:11 EDT 2022

     For those thinking of invoking the small spatial phase gradient
withing the R and L beams, combined with pointing offsets (which
certainly do exist near the zenith), I remind that the data (at least,
the data I'm looking at) show all three bands to have identical R-L
phase differences for L, S, and C bands.  Although it is true that any
pointing offsets are common to the three bands, I would not expect the R
and L beam phase gradients for each band (and for every antenna) to be
the same!  Naively, I would expect an R-L phase difference to show a
gradient along the squint axis (which is dramatically different between
these three bands).

     No impossible, but unlikely ...

     Nevertheless, it would be useful to see the spatial (differential)
phases over the main beams.  It's been a very long time since I've tried
to do this.  I recall gradients of a few degrees are common.  About the
right magnitude ...

On 3/30/22 14:14, pjaganna via evlatests wrote:
> I do have some complex voltage maps on disk. For S band on the ready
> thanks to VLASS.
> I can point you to it. There is also repeated scans on 3C147 in that
> which can be used
> to derive the same numbers that Rick has independent of Rick and AIPS
> software.
>

> ---
> Preshanth Jagannathan
>
> Associate Scientist,
>
> Algorithm Research & Development Group.
> NRAO Socorro, New Mexico, 87801, USA.
>
> Phone: +1-575-835-7497
> Email: pjaganna at nrao.edu
>
> On 2022-03-30 16:02, Steven Myers via evlatests wrote:
>> Is there a R (and/or L) complex voltage pattern map sitting around
>> somewhere to look at? Rick probably also has the equivalent from the
>> holography runs.
>>
>>> On Mar 30, 2022, at 1:32 PM, Sanjay Bhatnagar via evlatests
>>> <evlatests at listmgr.nrao.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> George:
>>>
>>> 1. The effect I am thinking of is more like in the first few
>>> sentences of you second paragraph.  Source moving _systematically_
>>> in the R and L voltage patterns.  The precise track can be written
>>> down as an expression (as also suggested by Steve).  It is not a
>>> source wander.  In general it also not a pure rotation (as you seem
>>> to imply).  Also, with significant pointing offsets antenna
>>> polarization squint matters for the kind of investigations done here
>>> (variation of R-L phase with time).
>>>
>>> 2. CASA imaging *does* account for geometric effects (e.g. antenna
>>> offsets, squint, effects of non ideal aperture illumination as
>>> measured with holography, all of these as a function of time,
>>> etc.).  Some of these are needed, and even used for VLASS imaging.
>>> Also these corrections, in general, can only be done during imaging
>>> (i.e., can't be done in the traditional pre imagining calibration
>>> step).  For compact sources one can approximate, I _think_, these
>>> corrections via transitional calibration (as in AIPS or CASA
>>> calibration modules) but only *after* eliminating pointing offsets
>>>
>>> On Mar 30, 2022 12:57 PM, George Moellenbrock via evlatests
>>> <evlatests at listmgr.nrao.edu> wrote:
>>> Sanjay-
>>>
>>> I think you are describing phase variation within/across the voltage
>>> pattern, and the source wandering around in that. Wouldn't that be
>>> quite band-dependent?   I think Rick was going to look for R/L
>>> amplitude effects which might be evidence of that sort of thing.
>>> And we might expect that wander to be less systematic/symmetric,
>>> probably.   Still, wander around the beam, especially near zenith,
>>> is likely at least a confusing factor, indeed.
>>>
>>> The geometric effects I've been trying to describe will operate even
>>> if the source is strictly stationary (in direction) in the voltage
>>> pattern.  But it is still rotating, or more to the point, the