[evlatests] WIDAR data

Walter Brisken wbrisken at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 24 17:08:05 EST 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Michael Rupen wrote:

> Did you check this in a single (1 second) integration, and separately for the
> three different LO offsets?   We want the fewest possible turns of phase
> within a single integration, to see whether this all works as expected.

Yes -- the non-detection of the aliased maser line holds for both scan
averages and for individual (coherent) integrations.  However, there is
some unexplained excess power in channels IF3/997-1005 that shows up when
incoherently averaging over 1 scan.  The magnitude of this power is
similar for each offset frequency used.  The odd thing is that the mirror
image of the brightest maser line should lie in channel 993 where in fact
there is nearly no excess power, and the shape of the excess power bump
does not match that of the maser spectrum.  The source of this extra power
is uncertain.  It could be another maser feature far enough from the phase
center to average out over a few minutes.

If possible, on the next similar test, it would be good to observe with
two frequency tunings to identify reflected(aliased) from real signal.

-W