[evlatests] WIDAR data

Michael Rupen mrupen at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 24 16:23:21 EST 2008

Hi Walter,

   thanks for looking at this so promptly.  A couple details...

> Orion H2O maser EVLA data set orion23nov08
>
> 1. Ant 3, IFs 1,2,5,7 are bad.  bpass did a horrible job until these were
>    explicitly flagged -- about 1 in 20 channels had a completely erratic
>    value while the others were fine.

Known and expected.

> 2. phase jump (expected?) at 05:18:33.  This is between offset setting #2
>    and #3

Hmm.  Shouldn't be there...

> 3. Strong evidence of the sin(x)/x correlator spectral response from the
>    maser in IF3 for all three frequency offsets.  No evidence in IF5 of
>    such power.  This is completely countered by Hanning smoothing
>    (smooth=1,0 in aips) as expected.

Cool.

> 4. There is no evidence of a mirror image of in either the top end of IF3
>    or the top end of IF4 within the noise limit.  The spectral dynamic
>    range (peak channel flux density to RMS channel flux density) is at
>    least 4000:1 (36 dB).

Did you check this in a single (1 second) integration, and separately for the
three different LO offsets?   We want the fewest possible turns of phase
within a single integration, to see whether this all works as expected.

Thanks again --

            Michael