[Difx-users] Issue with generating .difx files using startdifx command {External} {External} {External}

Geoff Crew gbc at haystack.mit.edu
Thu May 18 19:27:46 EDT 2023

startdifx has an "agent" option (-A) which can can be a script that does
"almost anything" as long as it exists on all machines.

We have an inhomogeneous installation at Haystack, and all the various
MPI options (which are different on a per-host basis) are manipulated in
the agent script.  I can't speak to the mpich implementation, but the
openmpi one duplicates all the command line options in environment
variables.....

On 5/18/23 19:19, Adam Deller via Difx-users wrote:
> Hi De Wu,
>
> As Chris mentioned, the issue is probably one of argument
> incompatibility between openmpi and mpich.  Sadly, the different MPI
> implementations (and even different versions of the same
> implementation!) seem to take fiendish pleasure in changing the
> options that are supported.  There should be an option (commented out
> by default) in the setup.bash/setup.csh file you source before running
> DiFX that allows you to set the MPI invocation parameters, e.g.:
>
> #DIFX_MPIRUNOPTIONS "--mca mpi_yield_when_idle 1 --mca rmaps seq"
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have personal experience with mpich4.*, but I'd
> suggest just having a look for reference material online about what
> options it supports compared to openmpi.  (As a first guess, you could
> always try just setting DIFX_MPIRUNOPTIONS to not have --mca and see
> what happens...)
>
> Cheers,
> Adam
>
> --
> !=============================================================!
> Prof. Adam Deller
> Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing
> Swinburne University of Technology
> John St, Hawthorn VIC 3122 Australia
> phone: +61 3 9214 5307
> fax: +61 3 9214 8797