[Difx-users] Missing baselines with R-X/Y data

Eskil Varenius eskil.varenius at chalmers.se
Thu Feb 4 12:09:59 EST 2021

Hi Adam, all

Finally some data so I can return to the mixed-pol issue again. To remind you, my problem is that when correlating R-pol (1Gbps) data from ONSALA60 against X/Y-pol (2Gbps) data from ONSA13NE and ONSA13SW, I must define “zoom bands” to get visibilities on all baselines. Not sure if the problem is in DiFX, or difx2mark4 (or elsewhere).  I have uploaded a tar.gz archive with input/output files (excluding 18GB of VDIF data) at
https://chalmersuniversity.box.com/s/9ed0t61bk04ag88is2ovhlm0er4qd00n
There you can check logfiles, input files etc. If you want the data, I can share it (no time right now to remember how to split out a small chunk of data for testing, so used one full 30 sec scan). I can also try various things on my end if you have suggestions.

Here are the steps to reproduce with DiFX 2.6.2:

Unzip archive,
Edit "*.files" with correct paths to "data" directory
cd zoom
Edit "on1028_1.machines" accordingly (e.g. computer name)
vex2difx -v -v -v -d *v2d --force (need force as this is mixed circular/linear data)
calcif2 *.calc
startdifx -n -f *.input -v
I now get messages, see logfile, like
"Thu Feb  4 17:56:58 2021   0 skirner WARNING  Baseline 0 frequency 0 points at two different frequencies that are apparently identical - this is not wrong, but very strange.  Check the input file"
The message is correct, I have identical zoom windows - otherwise I don't get all baselines. To see result, I run
difx2mark4 -v -b X 2300 14000 *.difx -s ../station_code_file.txt
and check the output on screen. All baselines are included:
[...]
      n120[SX] 448
      n120[ST] 896
      n120[XT] 448
      n120[SS] 448
      n120[XX] 448
      n120[TT] 448
[...]

Same procedure without zoom-windows, I get a different set of baselines

[...]
      n120[SX] 448
      n120[XT] 448
      n120[SS] 448
      n120[XX] 224
      n120[TT] 448
[...]
Curiously, the "ST" (which is the ONSA13NE-SW baseline) is missing, and the XX (ONSALA60) is half (224).

Not sure the zoom-window version is correct, but I need the ST-baseline, and it seems to work, so I use zoom-windows. But, I'm curious: why does this happen?

Kind regards
Eskil