[Difx-users] Handling lin-pol data with difx2fits

harro verkouter hverkouter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 09:26:35 EDT 2019

I believe neither AIPS nor CASA have documented support for H/V
polarization labels. Checking AIPS memo 114 (revised 2016 version) and the
CASA Stokes.h source file (containing the enumerated polarization
combinations it recognizes) and it's only X/Y, R/L that's supported. CASA
has a little "win" here because it has built-in support for naming mixed
linear/circular polarization combinations. These are, by current definition
of the FITS-IDI standard, unrepresentable in FITS-IDI.

I agree that maybe it would be better if they had support for H/V, but that
might need a disproportionate investment of coding.