[Difx-users] Handling lin-pol data with difx2fits

Walter Brisken wbrisken at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 11 08:45:11 EDT 2019

Three comments here.

1. For the polarizations to be properly propagated, a vex file correctly
identifying the polarizations is needed from the start.  Is it possible
that the wrong polarization labels started with an incorrect vex file?

2. It is strictly true that H/V would be the more appropriate labels for
alt-az antennas.  However, for the few HaDec mounts.  For other mount types
(e.g., X over Y, Nasmyth, RadioAstron, ...) neither prescription is
correct.  So there is no pleasing everyone.  I think the best thing to do
is just consider the "X/Y" that comes from the correlator as "uncalibrated
X/Y".  Downstream calibration (when applying the parallactic angle
correction) will then calibrate the polarization.

3. CASA also uses X/Y for all linear polarizations.  The cost of changing
to H/V would be large, with almost no tangible gain.  I see no reason to
pursue code changes to this effect.

 	-Walter