[comm] [webadmin] Revisions to Proxy page

Jeff Mangum jmangum at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 10 06:59:18 EDT 2007

Hi Gene,

On 7/9/07 6:23 PM, Gene Runion wrote:
> Certainly the fees the library is paying requires serious investigation.
> The minuses of the proxy
>  - generates help desk tickets, just turn it off

Perhaps.  If switching proxies is as slick in IE and Safari as it is in
Firefox, then this might be a solution.
>  - doesn't easily solve assess when a person isn't directly connected to
> our network, the WEB VPN works pretty good for this.  Replacing the
> existing VPN, which is now obsolete, may be in order.

If the webvpn is unchanged from the last time I tried it (several months
ago), it is a non-starter.  Poor rendering of most pages in Firefox, and
slow as molasses.
> I still have not heard what the pricing structure is for the library
> services.

In fact, this is the real question.  Need to find out from Marsha
exactly what the pricing structure looks like.

-- Jeff