[comm] [webadmin] Revisions to Proxy page

Chris Clark cclark at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 10 07:52:36 EDT 2007

On Tue, July 10, 2007 06:59, Jeff Mangum wrote:
> Hi Gene,
>
> On 7/9/07 6:23 PM, Gene Runion wrote:
>> Certainly the fees the library is paying requires serious investigation.
>> The minuses of the proxy
>>  - generates help desk tickets, just turn it off
>>
> Perhaps.  If switching proxies is as slick in IE and Safari as it is in
> Firefox, then this might be a solution.

Actually switching isn't really that much of an issue. I have been using
the proxy since the service was initiated. I have yet to find a page where
it is a problem.

>>  - doesn't easily solve assess when a person isn't directly connected to
>> our network, the WEB VPN works pretty good for this.  Replacing the
>> existing VPN, which is now obsolete, may be in order.
>>
> If the webvpn is unchanged from the last time I tried it (several months
> ago), it is a non-starter.  Poor rendering of most pages in Firefox, and
> slow as molasses.

It certainly is slower from the outside than using the squid proxies but
still quite usable in my experience. The rendering in firefox certainly
can be an issue.

>> I still have not heard what the pricing structure is for the library
>> services.
>>
> In fact, this is the real question.  Need to find out from Marsha
> exactly what the pricing structure looks like.
>
> -- Jeff
>> -Gene

Chris
    Chris Clark - Division Head, NRAO Green Bank
                 Computing Division
         Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha,
                 do chéal déanaimh