[wfc] The end of the road

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Mar 26 12:16:20 EDT 2014

There's a blurring of lines here that could benefit from clarification.  What is the relationship between the (former) North American FITS Committee and the AAS Working Group on Astronomical Software (WGAS):

	http://aas.org/comms/working-group-astronomical-software-wgas

On the IAU side there is a similar blurring between Commission 5 and the IAU FITS working group.

In particular an action of an IAU WG (to say it will no longer pay attention to regional subcommittees) is not directly pertinent to a AAS committee or subcommittee.  By all means the AAS WGAS should go along with dissolving its advisory role to the IAU FITSWG, but the WGAS does not therefore cease to exist.

I understand there have also been changes contemplated to WGAS, perhaps eventually a promotion to AAS divisional level, but the current membership serves until Dec 2014 according to the web page.

Suggest whatever the process is that it be a coherent and open one.

Rob