[wfc] Vote Reminder

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Jan 18 17:54:27 EST 2008

> please take a look at this and do send your vote in by Friday.

I vote yes.

The committee is to be commended for an excellent job.  The "response
to comments" is a textbook example of how such should be handled and
will prove a useful reference the next time the standard is tweaked.

That said, "once FITS, always FITS" is a very severe standard to meet
and a number of the textual changes are technically unenforceable
should challenges arise.  I suspect that no important challenges will.

Good job!

- Rob

Caveat:

I am concerned lest all future maintenance of the standard be handled
by the convention registry.  Some additions, e.g., checksums, remain
appropriate for the standard itself, not simply to be tacked on.  In
particular, if all future FITS functionality is delivered as a
"convention", the detailed textual editing just demonstrated will
likely never be applied to these conventions.