[Pafgbt] save PAF cross-correlations rather than formed beam outputs

Karl Warnick warnick at ee.byu.edu
Mon May 20 16:27:19 EDT 2013

One comment below..

Karl

On 5/20/2013 12:48 PM, Brian Jeffs wrote:
> Comments below.
>
> Brian
>

> On May 20, 2013, at 10:28 AM, Karl Warnick wrote:
>
>> I agree that correlations are important. Correlated outputs will
>> probably be the default mode for most PAF observations, and real time
>> beams would only be used when phase information is important, such as
>> for pulsar surveys (can pulsar searches be done with fine grained,
>> narrowband correlations?)
>>
>> I'm not sure whether the bandwidth issue is the real driver. Real
>> time beams also have to be formed in subbands and then either
>> processed for pulsar surveys or integrated for power spectra.
>> I don't think bandwidth is really what drives the difference between
>> a B engine and an X engine. It's true that if one only forms a few
>> PAF beams, then with a given disk storage data rate one could store
>> the beam outputs over finer frequency subbands than correlations, but
>> if fully sampled beams are formed, the data rate wouldn't be very
>> different between beam outputs and correlations with the same
>> integration time and frequency resolution. Am I missing something?
>
> For the same integration time and frequency resolution, roughly the
> same number of beams as PAF elements (fully sampled beams and Nyquist
> array sampling), ignoring the N log N complexity growth of an FFT,
>  ignoring processor architecture constraints, and if you don't need
> time series data for downstream processing, then there is no relative
> advantage between an integrating B engine and an X engine as to data
> rate.  There are however some very real practical limitations.
>
> If you have an ASKAP PAF you have many more elements than beams, so a
> B engine is more efficient.  With our PAF, which has about the same
> number of beams as elements, the calculus changes.
>
> _All frequency channelization must be performed before the
> correlations (X engine) stage_, so if you need fine-grained frequency
> resolution you need a huge FFT to handle the 800 Msamp/s target sample
> rate of our back end.  We don't have a processor architecture that can
> do that FFT size (due to N log N growth).  You must do coarse FFTs
> first, then either real-time beamform or correlate.  If you correlate
> (e.g. and then beamform) you can never get to the fine frequency
> resolution.  If you real-time beamform, you can follow with another
> FFT stage to get fine frequency channels.  You could then correlate,
> or integrate squared spectra, or send to pulsar processing as suites
> the application.
If we were correlating outputs of an N channel PAF over the full
bandwidth, wouldn't the cost of a fine FFT, while large, be negligible
in comparison in relation to the correlator? When I say fine grained,
narrowband correlations, I mean a fine FFT followed by X engine, with
the integration time very small. The time scale certainly can be no
smaller than N_FFT samples, but it could still be pretty small. That's
certainly possible in principle, with a large enough back end. I wonder
if there are applications that would be well served by this kind of
architecture, with a fine F engine followed by a correlator.

> [...]
>> there's less motivation to use a beamformer back end instead of a
>> correlator.
>
> I agree with this.  That is why ASKAP uses a real-time beamformer
> ahead of the correlator.  Correlation across the dishes requires
> frequency channelized times series, not integrated data.  I have not
> seen proposals for a two-level correlator.  The first stage (PAF
> level) correlation removes all absolute time or phase reference
> information for one dish relative to another, which is the key signal
> component needed to form the 2nd level (dish to dish) correlation.
>  The other reason for doing real-time beamforming at the PAF level is
> to reduce data transport requirements (many more elements than beams).
>  Eigenbeams further reduce the data transport load.  Integrated
> correlations would of course be even lower data rate, but I don't see
> how to get the cross dish visibilities from PAF correlations.
>
> For a single dish PAF the arguments are weaker for real-time
> beamforming unless actual time samples or superfine spectral
> resolution are needed.
>

>> Finally, there is probably a bit of analysis one could to to show how
>> closely beams must be spaced in order for the information in the
>> beams to be equivalent to the correlations. It's essentially the
>> problem of recovering the matrix R from a set of inner products
>> w'*R*w for many vectors w. I suspect that if one forms HPBW/2 spaced
>> beams over the PAF FoV, the information in the beams is less than but
>> on the order of the information in R in some quantiable sense.
>> Information in the deep sidelobes is lost, but most of the large
>> eigenvalues of R represent sources in the field of view. With finer
>> beams, even just over the PAF field of view, all information even out
>> in deep sidelobes could well be contained in the beam outputs, but
>> that's a moot point, as one would not form that many beams in
>> practice. There's also the idea of eigenbeams proposed by Cornwell et
>> al., so that one can form very few PAF beams yet still have
>> information over the full field of view.
>
> I agree with this.
>

>> Karl
>>

>> On 5/20/2013 9:25 AM, Brian Jeffs wrote:
>>> Rick,
>>>
>>> I agree that you have much more flexibility to try different
>>> beamformer designs, detection algorithms, interference mitigation
>>> techniques, superresolution, calibration correction, etc. if you
>>> store and operate on the accumulated cross products (correlation
>>> matrices).  However, you give up the ability to do fine resolution
>>> spectral processing.  You are stuck with the coarseness of the
>>> correlator's frequency channelization.  I don't know how problematic
>>> this is for some applications, such as pulsar searches, where fine
>>> spectral resolution may be needed.
>>>
>>> Brian

>> --
>> Karl F. Warnick
>> Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering

Karl F. Warnick
Brigham Young University
459 Clyde Building
Provo, UT 84602