[Pafgbt] save PAF cross-correlations rather than formed beam outputs

Karl Warnick warnick at ee.byu.edu
Mon May 20 12:28:18 EDT 2013

I agree that correlations are important. Correlated outputs will
probably be the default mode for most PAF observations, and real time
beams would only be used when phase information is important, such as
for pulsar surveys (can pulsar searches be done with fine grained,
narrowband correlations?)

I'm not sure whether the bandwidth issue is the real driver. Real time
beams also have to be formed in subbands and then either processed for
pulsar surveys or integrated for power spectra. I don't think bandwidth
is really what drives the difference between a B engine and an X engine.
It's true that if one only forms a few PAF beams, then with a given disk
storage data rate one could store the beam outputs over finer frequency
subbands than correlations, but if fully sampled beams are formed, the
data rate wouldn't be very different between beam outputs and
correlations with the same integration time and frequency resolution. Am
I missing something?

There is another motivation for beamformers in the broader PAF
community, and that is for synthesis arrays. The correlator for the dish
array is expensive, so one would only want to correlate as small a
number of beams from each PAF as possible. This raises a question -
could correlations from each PAF be used to get correlations of the dish
array somehow? Is there an efficient two-level correlator architecture,
with a PAF correlator for each dish, followed by the synthesis array
correlator? I suspect not, but I can't quite convince myself. In any
case, it seems that for single dish telescopes, there's less motivation
to use a beamformer back end instead of a correlator.

Finally, there is probably a bit of analysis one could to to show how
closely beams must be spaced in order for the information in the beams
to be equivalent to the correlations. It's essentially the problem of
recovering the matrix R from a set of inner products w'*R*w for many
vectors w. I suspect that if one forms HPBW/2 spaced beams over the PAF
FoV, the information in the beams is less than but on the order of the
information in R in some quantiable sense. Information in the deep
sidelobes is lost, but most of the large eigenvalues of R represent
sources in the field of view. With finer beams, even just over the PAF
field of view, all information even out in deep sidelobes could well be
contained in the beam outputs, but that's a moot point, as one would not
form that many beams in practice. There's also the idea of eigenbeams
proposed by Cornwell et al., so that one can form very few PAF beams yet
still have information over the full field of view.

Karl

Karl F. Warnick
Brigham Young University
459 Clyde Building