[Pafgbt] save PAF cross-correlations rather than formed beam outputs

Brian Jeffs bjeffs at byu.edu
Mon May 20 11:25:52 EDT 2013

Rick,

I agree that you have much more flexibility to try different beamformer designs, detection algorithms, interference mitigation techniques, superresolution, calibration correction, etc. if you store and operate on the accumulated cross products (correlation matrices).  However, you give up the ability to do fine resolution spectral processing.  You are stuck with the coarseness of the correlator's frequency channelization.  I don't know how problematic this is for some applications, such as pulsar searches, where fine spectral resolution may be needed.

Brian