[Pafgbt] Soldering new dipoles

Karl Warnick warnick at ee.byu.edu
Tue Jan 22 12:53:39 EST 2013

Bob,

We may have a mechanical stress issue with these dipoles. The design is
fairly robust, but the dipole arms are quite heavy. I wonder if the
softer solder may still actually be better, though, as there is less
risk of cracking and catastrophic failure.

Karl

On 1/22/2013 10:47 AM, Bob Simon wrote:
>     The ones we've done here in GB were soldered with SN62.  There
> isn't much mechanical stress on these, so the softer solder works
> fine.  Also, the lower melting point allows you to get on and off the
> heat quickly, avoiding damage/discoloration to the gold-plated brass.
> bob..
>

> On 1/22/2013 12:38 PM, Dennis Egan wrote:
>> Are these intended to be soldered with eutectic solder or silver solder?
>>
>> Karl Warnick wrote:
>>> Bob and all,
>>>
>>> Rick suggested last fall that the Green Bank machine shop could
>>> assist with fabrication of the new dipoles. We've run into a snag
>>> and could use some help. The soldering expert in our university
>>> machine shop has retired, and the current staff have not been able
>>> to achieve the quality in the soldering we need for the antennas
>>> (see attached). Would it be possible for us to send the parts for
>>> the remaining 19 dipoles to Green Bank for soldering?
>>>
>>> Karl

Karl F. Warnick
Brigham Young University
459 Clyde Building