[Pafgbt] PAF/GBT progress report

Rick Fisher rfisher at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 7 14:55:35 EST 2012

Brian, Richard,

Thanks for your follow-up on the GBT/DAQ interface.  As I mentioned some
time ago, use of the PAF on the GBT will require a greater degree of
interface formality than we've used with the 20-meter tests.  I hope you
don't find this too intimidating.  It's not as daunting as it might look
at first, and I'll be happy to guide you through the process based on my
experience with interfacing the ADLink DAQ.  We'll be assigned a software
engineer from the GBT Monitor and Control group to handle their end of the
interface, and I've sent an email to the head of that group, Mark
Whitehead, to get the ball rolling.

The heart of the GBT/PAF interface definition will be a Modification Request
(MR).  I've attached a copy of the MR web page that we used for the ADLink
interface.  Again, don't be intimidated by the length of the document,
some of which is boiler plate and some background to get everyone on the
same page.  The subsection that you'll tend to focus on is 4.3 and
particularly 4.3.2, which defines the socket message protocol.  We can use
the message definitions that you have already defined as a starting point
and add anything needed to complete the interface definition.  The ADLInk
interface was pretty simple, and I'd expect yours to be similar, expanded
mainly to accommodate the greater capability of your device.  In the
ADLink implementation I defaulted the vast majority of setup parameters
that we didn't expect to change from the GBT control system just to
simplify the interface.

That said, we need to try hard to make the interface definition as
complete as necessary before signing off on the MR since this defines the
scope of work for the GBT software engineers in managing their time for
the coming three-month quarter.

I'm happy to share any of the code from the ADLink DAQ interface, but it
will be pretty tedious to reverse engineer the code to figure out the GBT
interface.  I'll send you the code, but let's start with your socket
message definitions to define the sections 4.3 of the new MR.  Since we'll
probably use the same frequency synthesizers as L.O.s for your new
receiver and sampler clocks (if needed), the current GPIB interface will
probably remain the same or nearly so (section 4.3.1).

One thing I did for the ADLink system was to write a graphical user
interface (GUI) that used the same message protocol as the GBT interface.
This serves double duty as a test generator for the messages and as an
operator's console for use of the data acquisition system and PAF in the
lab and outdoor test building.  The GUI is shown in Figure 2 of

http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~rfisher/ArrayFeed/paf_adlink_stand_alone.html

It's written with the Python WX module tool kit.  I'll send you my code
and help modify it for your application.  You'll see that I put all of the
ADLink setup parameters in the GUI for testing purposes, but that may have
been overkill.

We'll also need to add some parameters to the PAF receiver FITS file
definition to accommodate your system's setup information.  The aim there
is to archive every bit of information needed to interpret the data from
the PAF/DAQ without reference to memory or hand-written notes.  Part of
the code suite is a FITS file generator in the form of a socket message
server.  We'll steal this from my code and modify.

Enough for now.  Feel free to ask questions or suggest ways to make it all
easier.

Regards,
Rick