[Pafgbt] PAF beam spacing on the GBT for a pulsar survey

Rick Fisher rfisher at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 13 11:46:52 EDT 2010

Hi Paul,

Do we want to maximize the integral of (G/T)^2, or should the pulsar
population as a function of flux density be factored in?  If completeness
is an issue, a steeper log(N)-log(S) curve would favor closer spacings
since more pulsars would be discovered near the sensitivity limit.  This
would be particularly true for new pulsars.

I realize that PALFA uses interlaced pointings to fill in closer spacings,
but their "47 pointings to cover one square degree" still implies -3 dB
crossings (assuming 3.3 arcmin HPBW).

Rick