[MODEST] MODEST-13 First Announcement Almaty Kazakhstan Aug. 19-23, 2013

Rainer Spurzem spurzem at nao.cas.cn
Mon Sep 17 10:03:58 EDT 2012

  Dear MODEST community, due to some trouble to post to this to the
  MODEST mailing list from Kazakhstan I am posting this announcement
  on behalf of Chingis Omarov, director and chair of LOC of the
  proposed MODEST-13:

                                 FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT

                         International Workshop MODEST-13
                         Star Clusters across Cosmic Time
&
                      School for young scientists/students
                    New Techniques of Modeling and Observing
                                  August 19-23, 2013
                                 Almaty, Kazakhstan

Fessenkov Astrophysical Institute is pleased to announce and to invite
you to a 3-day workshop "Modeling Dense Stellar Systems - 13" and  a 2-day
school for young
scientists  "New Techniques of Modeling and Observing"  that is to be held in
Almaty, Kazakhstan.

       Scientific rationale

Our present  understanding of dense stellar systems and its subsystems
has greatly evolved in the past years due to the development of new methods and
approaches in
computational astrophysics. Dense stellar systems not only occur in thousands of
globular clusters
around and among galaxies, but also at the lower end of scaling relations for
black holes and
galactic nuclei. And recent research reveals that their could be a continuous
transition from
dense stellar systems to small galaxies. Obviously, all these developments are
connected with new
high resolution observational data available today. Star Clusters are tracers
and building blocks of
galaxy formation, and their importance as gravitational wave sources through
their stellar or
intermediate mass black holes is getting into the focus. In this context, we
announce both the workshop
MODEST-13 and a school "New Techniques of Modeling and Observing" to allow
  learning and
exchange for students and scientists of all levels and of different simulation
and observing communities.
We will seek to invite outstanding lecturers for the school to present the
state-of-the art and future
perspectives in the field.

       Meeting Venue

The event will be held at Fessenkov Astrophysical Institute, Observatory 23,
050020 Almaty, Kazakhstan
and additional premises (tbd -depending on number of participants). The former
capital of Kazakhstan,
once known as Alma-Ata, with a population of 1.4 million and a just opened metro
subway line, is the
financial, commercial and cultural center of Central Asia; it boasts large
tourist and expatriate
communities. Western,Turkish and Asian culture intersect here. The city has a
very favourable geographic
location, at the foothills of heavenly mountains (Tian Shan,
http://www.reiseabenteuer-gus.de/bilder/almatybildnr1.htm ).
The climate is generally moderate and pleasant, winters can be cold.

   Registration and fee

March 30, 2013 -- is the deadline of filling applications for participation in
the workshop
Last name ______________________________________
First name______________________________________
Academic degree________________________________
Address_______________________________________
Place of employment, position______________________
E-mail_________________________________________
Fax___________________________________________
Tel.___________________________________________
Paper subject area_______________________________
I am planning to make verbal presentation ?
I am planning to make poster paper ?
Paper title _____________________________________
Authors of paper________________________________

You can register at the website [soon to be disclosed through this list]

We aim for a MODEST registration fee of 100 Euro for regular participants and 50
Euro for young scientists/students.
This is subject to confirmation.

       Accomodation in Almaty

We recommend you the following hotels:
Holiday Inn: http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/reservation/findandbook
Tien Shan hotel: http://tienshan-hotels.com/

If you have other preferences in accommodation, please contact us and we will be
pleased to help you in finding
other accommodation.

       Financial support

A partial financial support might be provided for a limited number of students.

       Committees

SOC: to be determined from MODEST community and local scientists

LOC:  Chingis Omarov (Chair), Rainer Spurzem, Maxim Makukov, Bekdaulet Shukirgaliev

       Visa information

Note: the simplest way to get visa is to apply for a tourist visa!
And for the conference participants and their accompanying persons who need a
business entry visa to the
Republic of Kazakhstan shall provide the following information to the conference
Secretariat via e-mails
(sekretariat at aphi.kz <mailto:sekretariat at aphi.kz>, cc: chingis.omarov at gmail.com
<mailto:chingis.omarov at gmail.com>)  not later 01 May 2013 (to obtain visa
support from
the Organizing Committee of the Conference):

1.  Last name, first name;
2.  Sex;
3.  Date and Place of Birth;
4.  Citizenship;
5.  Nationality (if different);
6.  Place of residence (address);
7.  Place of employment and position;
8.  Passport number, place of issue, issue and expire dates;
9.  Visa duration;
10. Expected date of arrival to Almaty and flight number;
11. Place of visa issue in your country.

      Traveling to Almaty

The following airlines fly to Almaty: Lufthansa, KLM, British Airways, Turkish
Airlines, Etihad Airways,
Air Astana etc. There are direct flights e.g.  to Frankfurt, London, Vienna,
Prague, Istanbul, Moscow,
St. Peterburg, Beijing, Bangkok, Seoul, Kuala Lumpur, Delhi, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah
which serve as hubs to
further destinations.

     Transportation from the airport to your hotel/accommodation will be
provided for free.

  Kind regards
  Chingis Omarov
  Director and Chair of LOC

  Rainer Spurzem, Visiting Professor                       spurzem at nao.cas.cn
  National Astronomical Observatories of China, Chinese Academy of Sciences
  NAOC/CAS, 20A Datun Rd., Chaoyang District, Beijing 100012, China
  Phone +86 10 6480 6001    Office A330   http://silk0.bao.ac.cn/spurzem.html
  Astronomisches Rechen-Institut (ARI)          spurzem at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
  Zentrum für Astronomie Univ. Heidelberg (ZAH)
  Mönchhofstrasse 12-14, 69120 Heidelberg
                        http://www.ari.uni-heidelberg.de/mitarbeiter/spurzem/
  The Kavli Institute for Astronomy and Astrophysics at Peking University
  Office 107                                          http://kiaa.pku.edu.cn/
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)