[MODEST] SaaS Fee Course 2012

Mark Gieles mgieles at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 7 10:09:31 EST 2012

Dear Colleagues,

We wish to advertise the Saas-Fee Winter Course 2012. Please consider
displaying the attached poster in your institute and distribute to
interested colleagues: 42nd Saas-Fee Winter Course of the Swiss
Society for Astrophysics and Astronomy (SSAA) on “Dynamics of Young
Star Clusters and Associations”, March 25-31, 2012, in Villars-sur-
Ollon, Switzerland.

We are pleased to announce the program for the 2012 Saas-Fee Course
with a series of lectures concerning the theory and observational
constraints on the dynamics of young star clusters and associations.
With the proliferation of large area photometric, radial velocity, and
astrometric surveys from ground-based telescopes, the launch of Gaia
planned for 2013, and the explosive increase in our capacity to
simulate the dynamics of these complex systems, the time is right to
visit this topic.  The school will attempt to address such questions as:

1)    How common are star-forming events of varying richness?
2)    What are the dynamical states of these events?
3)    In what sort of star-forming event did the Sun form?
4)    How can we use answers to these questions to constrain
predictive theories of star formation?

These questions will be addressed by the following distinguished
international faculty:

Prof. Cathie Clarke, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge
Prof. Robert Mathieu, Dept. of Astronomy, University of Wisconsin
Dr. Neill Reid, Space Telescope Science Institute

These schools, which began over 40 years ago, are intended for
graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and senior researchers
interested in learning more about the topic. Registration is now open
with early registration discount deadline 15 January, 2012.  The
school is limited to 100 participants.  Villars-sur-Ollon, Switzerland
is located in the heart of the Alpes Vaudoises and provides a range of
winter sport and other activities.  It should provide an excellent
setting for this school.  Travel grants are available for students who
also plan to attend the meeting in Grenoble“From Atoms to Pebbles:
Herschel’s view of Star and Planet Formation”.  More information is
available on the website: http://www.astro.phys.ethz.ch/sf2012/

Regards,

Michael Meyer

(on behalf of the LOC)