[MODEST] MODEST-8b - First Announcement (with date now)

MODEST 8b modest8b at gmail.com
Fri May 16 06:02:16 EDT 2008

Dear MODEST colleagues,

as many of you have noticed the first announcement for the MODEST-8b
workshop to continue the development of MUSE was missing the date of
the meeting (September 15th to 19th). We apologize for any
inconvenience this may have caused. Below, you will find again the
first announcement now with the date added. For further information or
to register, please go to
http://modesta.science.uva.nl/modest/modest8b/index.html.

Again, our apologies and best wishes
the organizers

  	         ***  First Announcement  ***

                          MODEST-8b
                          =========

             * Amsterdam, September 15th to 19th *

         Multiscale Multiphysics Scientific Environment
  Towards realistic modeling of dense stellar systems in MUSE

1.) GENERAL INFORMATION
=======================

It is our pleasure to invite you to a 5-day workshop in order to
continue the development and discuss the future of MUSE - a
Multi-scale Multi-physics Software Environment. The purpose of MUSE is
to realistically model dense stellar systems such as young star
clusters and galactic nuclei (see http://muse.li). Important steps had
been taken over the last two years at previous workshops, most
recently in Split, Croatia, in August 2007, where we accomplished to
complete a working interface to connect a complete set of base
codes. During this next meeting we plan to demonstrate the
capabilities of MUSE by simulating a star cluster including stellar
dynamics, stellar evolution as well as stellar collisions. By now NOVA
(http://www.astronomie.nl/) has provided finanical support for the
further development of MUSE.

2.) DATE AND MEETING VENUE
==========================

The meeting will be held September 15th to 19th at the

Astronomical Institute 'Anton Pannekoek'
and Section Computational Science
University of Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
1098SJ Amsterdam

3.) ORGANISATION
================

Simon Portegies Zwart
Stefan Harfst
Evghenii Gaburov
Derek Groen

4.) REGISTRATION
================

To register please go to:

http://modesta.science.uva.nl/modest/modest8b/register.html

The dead-line for registration is July 31th and we encourage you to
register as early as possible.

There is no registration fee due for this workshop.

5.) PROGRAMME
=============

The scientific programme is focused on continuing the development of
MUSE and most of the time during the workshop the participants will
work in small groups on writing MUSE code. A few talks on MUSE-related
topics and an introduction to GRID computing with MUSE will round off
the programme. Further details of the programme will be announced at a
later time.

A workshop dinner and a sightseeing-tour of Amsterdam are also planned
in addition to the scientific programme.

6.) OTHER INFORMATION
=====================

Traveling to Amsterdam
----------------------
Amsterdam is best reached by plane, Schipohl International Airport has
direct connections to many major cities world wide. From the airport,
public transport is available to get ot the institute/city centre.

Accommodation in Amsterdam
--------------------------
We recommend that you contact the administration of the astronomical
institute (secr-astro at science.uva.nl) to make a reservation in one of
the following hotels:

Hotel Rembrandt: http://www.hotelrembrandt.nl/
Hotel Bridge: http://www.thebridgehotel.nl/

Rooms in either hotel go for about 100 Euro per night, including
breakfast.

What to bring
-------------
We recomment that participants bring their own (LINUX or MAC-OS)
laptop. There will be a wireless network at the workshop location.

Financial support
We may be able to offer a limited amount of finanical support to
students. If you require support to attend the workshop please send
an email to modest8b at gmail.com.

Website
-------
More information can be found on the workshops webpage at

http://modesta.science.uva.nl/modest/modest8b/index.html

Best wishes
the organisers