[MODEST] MODEST-8b - First Announcement

MODEST 8b modest8b at gmail.com
Thu May 15 12:23:24 EDT 2008

  	         ***  First Announcement  ***

                          MODEST-8b
                          =========

         Multiscale Multiphysics Scientific Environment
  Towards realistic modeling of dense stellar systems in MUSE

1.) GENERAL INFORMATION
=======================

It is our pleasure to invite you to a 5-day workshop in order to
continue the development and discuss the future of MUSE - a
Multi-scale Multi-physics Software Environment. The purpose of MUSE is
to realistically model dense stellar systems such as young star
clusters and galactic nuclei (see http://muse.li). Important steps had
been taken over the last two years at previous workshops, most
recently in Split, Croatia, in August 2007, where we accomplished to
complete a working interface to connect a complete set of base
codes. During this next meeting we plan to demonstrate the
capabilities of MUSE by simulating a star cluster including stellar
dynamics, stellar evolution as well as stellar collisions. By now NOVA
(http://www.astronomie.nl/) has provided finanical support for the
further development of MUSE.

2.) MEETING VENUE
=================

Astronomical Institute 'Anton Pannekoek' and Section Computational Science
University of Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
1098SJ Amsterdam

3.) ORGANISATION
================

Simon Portegies Zwart
Stefan Harfst
Evghenii Gaburov
Derek Groen

4.) REGISTRATION
================

To register please go to:

http://modesta.science.uva.nl/modest/modest8b/register.html

The dead-line for registration is July 31th and we encourage you to
register as early as possible.

There is no registration fee due for this workshop.

5.) PROGRAMME
=============

The scientific programme is focused on continuing the development of
MUSE and most of the time during the workshop the participants will
work in small groups on writing MUSE code. A few talks on MUSE-related
topics and an introduction to GRID computing with MUSE will round off
the programme. Further details of the programme will be announced at a
later time.

A workshop dinner and a sightseeing-tour of Amsterdam are also planned
in addition to the scientific programme.

6.) OTHER INFORMATION
=====================

Traveling to Amsterdam
----------------------
Amsterdam is best reached by plane, Schipohl International Airport has
direct connections to many major cities world wide. From the airport,
public transport is available to get ot the institute/city centre.

Accommodation in Amsterdam
--------------------------
We recommend that you contact the administration of the astronomical
institute (secr-astro at science.uva.nl) to make a reservation in one of
the following hotels:

Hotel Rembrandt: http://www.hotelrembrandt.nl/
Hotel Bridge: http://www.thebridgehotel.nl/

Rooms in either hotel go for about 100 Euro per night, including
breakfast.

What to bring
-------------
We recomment that participants bring their own (LINUX or MAC-OS)
laptop. There will be a wireless network at the workshop location.

Financial support
We may be able to offer a limited amount of finanical support to
students. If you require support to attend the workshop please send
an email to modest8b at gmail.com.

Website
-------
More information can be found on the workshops webpage at

http://modesta.science.uva.nl/modest/modest8b/index.html

Best wishes
the organisers