[MODEST] MUSE and MODEST-7a

Steve McMillan steve at physics.drexel.edu
Thu Sep 6 06:58:31 EDT 2007

Dear MODEST astronomer,

     The MODEST-7a workshop was held in Split, Croatia, between August
25 and September 1.  The principal goal of the meeting was the
development of the MUSE software framework for the simulation of dense
stellar systems -- a programming environment in which existing
subroutines written in different languages can be combined into a single
program.

     I am pleased to announce that, as of the end of the workshop, we
have in place a working framework incorporating 3 dynamical, 2
hydrodynamical, and 1 (very soon to be 3) stellar/binary evolution
modules, all capable of operating independently and interchangeably
within a top-level python script.  The languages used in the modules are
Fortran (77, 90, 95), C, and C++, but the MUSE interface means that they
can communicate in a uniform way.

     To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time -- at least in
our field -- that several independently written programs have been
integrated within a single simulation.  It opens up exciting new
opportunities in collaborative programming, code comparison, and novel
astrophysical simulations.  Congratulations to all the MODEST-7a
participants on a very successful meeting!

     If you are interested in learning more about or contributing to the
MUSE project, please visit the web site at

     http://muse.li

If you would like to subscribe to the MUSE developers mailing list,
please visit