[MODEST] Re: MODEST Digest, Vol 11, Issue 1

Ralf Klessen rklessen at aip.de
Wed Nov 16 15:33:51 EST 2005

Dear Enrico:

Thanks for taking the initiative on a MODEST-related Santa Barbara
workshop. I think this is a VERY good idea. The KTIP programs are very
much in the spirit of MODEST in the sense of people getting together
for some time who then have the opportunity to actually work together
and get things done in a collaborative way.

So, yes, I am interested in coming to such workshop even for a more
extended period of time. However, the time is subject to constraints:
For those of us, who are teaching it will be difficult to leave for
three weeks or more during lecture time. (For the German system this
translates into the time period March / early April as well as July /
August / September as being available.) In addition, from my side, I
cannot leave my wife with the kids for so long, so it would be good to
bring the family. Other people may have similar thoughts. For me, this
basically reduces the time slot for extended stays in Santa Barbara to
the summer holidays, i.e. to the months July / August. And that is
probably the time that is most heavily subscribed and thus most
difficult to get.

Here are my answers to your questionaire:

> 1) Are you interested in a MODEST-related KITP program?
YES.
> 2) Do you think you could spend at least three weeks in Santa Barbara
> during the program?
YES, but probably only during summer holidays.
> 3) Which months would you prefer?
JULY/AUGUST
> 4) What topics would you be most interested in?
- STAR CLUSTER FORMATION
- GLOBULAR CLUSTERS AS TRACES OF COSMIC EVOLUTION
- (OPEN) STAR CLUSTERS AS FUNDAMENTAL BUILDING BLOCKS OF OUR GALAXY
(IMPLICATIONS FOR FUTURE ASTROMETRIC MISSIONS, SUCH AS GAIA)
>  5) Do you have any other comments or suggestions?
NOT AT THE MOMENT.

Again, thanks for taking the lead in this.
With best greatings,

Ralf