[MODEST] Physics of Galactic Nuclei -- KITP -- Summer 2006

David Merritt merritt at astro.rit.edu
Mon Mar 7 10:25:48 EST 2005

Dear Colleague,

We are writing to announce the program "Physics of Galactic Nuclei"
to be held at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics at the
University of California, Santa Barbara, in the period 22 May -- 28
July, 2006, and to alert you that applications are now being accepted.
We also encourage you to inform others who you think might be interested
in applying.  You'll find a general description of the program's goals
at http://www.kitp.ucsb.edu/activities/auto/?id=318 ,
and information about KITP at http://www.kitp.ucsb.edu.
We plan to hold a three-day workshop toward the end of June 2006.

The application deadline is 1 May, 2005.  It's necessary for every
participant to apply online via the KITP web site
http://www.kitp.ucsb.edu/apply/apply.html

KITP programs differ from many conferences and workshops in that
they create a situation where scientists learn from each other and
actually do substantive research, often collaborating with other
participants.  To foster these interactions, KITP encourages all
theory participants to stay for at least three weeks, and gives
priority to applicants who plan to do this.  We understand, however,
that experimentalists and observers often find it harder to manage
long visits, and we can be more flexible for them.

KITP provides office and computing facilities on its site at UC
Santa Barbara and also provides help in finding living
accommodations.  Some level of financial support will be available,
depending on the needs of the participants and availability of
funds.  Due to space and financial constraints, however, we may not
be able to accommodate everyone who responds.  Please understand
that actual commitments of office space and financial support can be
made only by written formal invitations from the KITP Director,
David Gross.

If you think you'd like to participate, it will help us with our
planning if you could apply early, including your proposed length of
stay and any financial requirements.  Again, feel free to bring this
program to the attention of other interested colleagues.

Sincerely yours,

David Merritt (merritt at astro.rit.edu)
Martin Haehnelt (haehnelt at ast.com.ac.uk)
Scott Hughes (sahughes at mit.edu)