[MODEST] toy model

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Sun Jun 30 18:02:49 EDT 2002

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Piet Hut wrote:

> Does all this seem reasonable?  Are there obvious improvements that
> we could make, without making the whole toy model much more complex?

since i just went through modifying 'ancient' software to make it work for the
current larger computing systems, I just wanted to remind you that integers only
count to about 2 billion (2**31). In my case it was all related to file size,
not to a star's ID, but at least the galaxy and cosmological simulator are
rushing towards that limit. For cluster simulators, unless you're doing the
galactic center, that won't be a problem.

In a few years, when 64 bit computers will be commonplace, this problem will
probably go away without us ever noticing it.

- peter