[MODEST] Our new "Modest" mailing list

Piet Hut piet at ias.edu
Thu Jun 27 11:44:10 EDT 2002

Dear Colleagues:

Following our workshop last week in New York City, on
"Integrating Stellar Evolution and Stellar Dynamics,"
we are now starting an email list, to facilitate further
discussions, among the participants of the workshop
as well as others who have shown interest in the topic.

At the end of the workshop, we decided upon "MODEST" as our
name.  MODEST stands for MOdeling DEnse STellar systems.
Though neither we nor our projects can possibly be described
as modest, we use our acronym to point out that we want to
work with only MODEST modifications of existing codes, to
model dense stellar systems.  So we can read the acronym
also as MODifying Existing STellar codes.

We have also started a MODEST web site:

   http://www.manybody.org/modest.html

On that web site you can find additional information about
related sites, and future meetings: MODEST-2 is tentatively
planned for Dec. 16-17, 2002, in Amsterdam, while MODEST-3
is planned for July 8-10, 2003, in Australia.

Note: you should have already received an email with information
      about how to subscribe and unsubscribe.  Please feel free
      to forward this message to others who may be interested in
      subscribing to this email list.  If you have any further
      questions about managing or (un)subscribing, please send
      your question to "modest-admin at listmgr.cv.nrao.edu".
      However, before doing so you may want to check the web site
      mentioned above, which will probably contain the answers to
      most of your questions.

Piet