[mmaimcal] Some thoughts on ALMA calibrator sources

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Mon May 10 11:06:10 EDT 2010

Hi folks

It is a good time to consider this subject again.

As we discussed at the Dec 09 Sci IPT meeting the SPT survey sources
presented in:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0912.2338
support the predictions made in the numerous ALMA memos on the subject.
  The area surveyed was very limited but of course this is a dynamic
field with Planck and the SPT still exploring.

I think sourceCatalog.py is a derivative of SMA and other catalogs but
ALMA is reaching the point where it can contribute usefully to compendia.

There was a plan at some point for a comprehensive EVLA/VLB/ALMA catalog
but I do not know where that stands or whether ALMA needs an independent
initiative.  Temporal measurements are critical--certain SBs run in
March used calibrators which had worked well for the SMA but whose flux
had faded to uselessness even for the more sensitive ALMA 3-antenna array.