[mmaimcal] First Science Array Configurations Rev B.

Rob Reid rreid at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 22 14:37:09 EDT 2008

Hi Antonio et Al,

At 2:10 PM EDT on October 22 Al Wootten sent:
> Dear Antonio and science ipt folks,
>
> I have placed a draft revision of Conway's document on early
> configurations at
> http://tinyurl.com/5omaqm
> for discussion.  I'm very interested in hearing discussion of this draft
> plan for populating the array during early commissioning through early
> science.  I propose that we discuss this at next Tuesday's MMA Imcal
> meeting.

I hope you don't mind some earlier comments on the document.  The configs you
came up with look much better than the planned ones, but I can't figure out
which pads are occupied in Fig. 4.  The text says there are 10 antennas, but
Fig. 3 shows 12 red dots and 6 green dots, not counting the TP pads.

Never mind...I figured it out while writing this email.  What confused me was
Table 1 being titled "PAD OCCUPATION SCHEME", but having 10 occupied pads for
both configurations.  It makes more sense when using Table 2, which comes much
later.  And Array 2 is the same as the 10 antenna array, right?  If you do
another draft I recommend removing Table 1, or at least stowing it in an
appendix.

Cheers,

--
Rob Reid      http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~rreid/     1-434-244-6822
Assistant Scientist at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory