[mmaimcal] First Science Array Configurations Rev B.

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 22 14:10:08 EDT 2008

Dear Antonio and science ipt folks,

I have placed a draft revision of Conway's document on early
configurations at
http://tinyurl.com/5omaqm
for discussion.  I'm very interested in hearing discussion of this draft
plan for populating the array during early commissioning through early
science.  I propose that we discuss this at next Tuesday's MMA Imcal
meeting.

Abstract:
The initial complement of antennas available for science at the
Chajnantor site (target date Q1, 2010) will consist of up to 15-16 12m
antennas.  As a stepping-stone to this array, we propose initial arrays
of 3-20 antennas that will be available for use for interferometry
observations about a year earlier. This array will be used both for
testing, commissioning and for the first astronomical validation
observations. Such ‘first astronomy’ observations will be interesting in
their own right, allowing high frequency observations on an excellent
site and uniquely demonstrating submillimeter ~1km baselines on a
millimeter interferometer. In addition such ‘first science’ observations
will provide a stringent ‘end to end’ test of the array systems.

This document outlines first astronomical verification configurations
using up to 20 antennas and the 151 foundations whose locations are
described in document ALMA-90.02.00.00-006-A-SPE.  We also consider
placement of the first antennas on the 22 foundations constructed for
the ACA whose locations are described in ALMA-90.02.00.00-007-A-SPE.  As
more antennas are delivered to the site configurations for antennas
numbers between 21 and 50 will be required. These additional
configuration plans are beyond the scope of this document and will be
presented in a subsequent document or revision of this document.