[mmaimcal] Comparison of ALMA Antenna specs on offset pointing

Jeff Mangum jmangum at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 4 07:38:54 EDT 2006

Hi Al,

At some point you mixed the FS spec with the pointing spec. Following
are some gory details...

The US prototype antenna technical specification for offset pointing says:

The pointing error is specified for two different kinds of pointing,
"offset" and "absolute" pointing. For "offset" pointing the contribution
to the error budget for slowly varying causes of pointing error, but not
for wind induced errors, may be limited to the differential error over a
solid angle of 2 degrees radius about the desired position, and then
only the change in that differential error over a 15 minute period when
tracking at sidereal rate. For "absolute" pointing no such limitation of
slowly varying errors will be made to contributions in the error budget.
The nonrepeatable pointing error under Primary Operating Conditions
(3.3.2.2) for "offset" pointing shall not exceed 0.6 arcseconds root sum
square (RSS) when tracking an astronomical source at sidereal rate.

The Production Antenna Technical Spec for offset pointing says:

For “offset” pointing and tracking the contribution to the error budget
for slowly varying causes of pointing error, but not for wind induced
errors, shall be limited to the accumulated error when the antenna is:
- pointed within 2 degrees from any starting position, and
- tracking over a 15 minute period at sidereal rate.
It shall apply:
The non-repeatable “offset” pointing and tracking error under Primary
Operating Conditions (section 4.4.3) shall not exceed 0.6 arcsec RSS
when computed according to the requirements of Section 5.3.2.3.

My RID (Review something Comment) on this issue, along with the relevant
pages from the prototype and production antenna technical specs are
attached. The difference is in the solid angle over which the spec
applies; "2 degrees radius" versus "2 degrees from any starting
position". I read this to mean that the production antennas will hold
their offset pointing accuracy over a solid angle of radius 1 degree (2
degree diameter) rather than the prototype spec of solid angle 2 degrees
radius.

-- Jeff